Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide will lock open on an empty mag, but not on a mag that has been shot empty.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Slide will lock open on an empty mag, but not on a mag that has been shot empty.

American Classic II, 5", 9mm. 3 Metro Arms mags, one Mec Gar mag.

Originally the slide wouldn't lock open on any mags so I:

switched out the slide lock for a new OEM lock
    replaced all springs with Wolff extra power springs
    will replace Metro followers with Mec Gars followers

The new slide lock does hold the slide open when racking the slide on any of the mags when they are inserted empty, but when I shoot them empty, the slide goes into battery after the last shot.

I have a stock recoil spring, no frame buffer, no guide rod, light oiling on the moving parts, so there shouldn't be anything causing the slide of overpower the slide lock.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Posts liked by others
    Is there any chance your thumb could be riding the slide stop? I've seen it happen with some straight thumb or even high thumb holds.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    No, I specifically kept my thumbs away from the slide lock.

Posts liked by others
    In that case, I recommend trying another brand of magazine before making any changes to the pistol. CheckMate Industries (CMI); Wilson Combat; Tripp; and several other quality magazine makers all make 9mm 1911 mags. Check Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...9%2bmm%2bLuger
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Dirty mag or weak spring?

Posts liked by others
    When you say "switched out the slide lock for a new OEM lock" what all did you do? Did you order specifically for a 9mm, and what kind of fitting?
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I replaced the stock Metro Arms 9mm slide lock with another stock Metro Arms 9mm slide lock.

The one I replaced was likely on the gun when new (I bought it lightly used) but it wouldn't lock back the slide on any of my empty (or shot empty) mags.

The replacement looks identical, especially in the area that is in contact with the mag follower, but it DOES hold the slide open on an empty mag but not on a shot empty mag.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawadc95 View Post
    Dirty mag or weak spring?
    Mags and followers are clean, the Mec Gar is shiny blue; the Metro's a dull blue.

Thinking it it was a case of soft springs I changed them all out for Wolff extra power 9mm mag springs at 8lbs.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Roccaas View Post
    Mags and followers are clean, the Mec Gar is shiny blue; the Metro's a dull blue.

Thinking it it was a case of soft springs I changed them all out for Wolff extra power 9mm mag springs at 8lbs.
    I have no idea who makes the Metro Arms mags, but Wolff mag springs must be paired with a matching follower or they will not work. As an example, Wolff mag springs do not work correctly with CMI patented bull-nose followers. Only CMI manufactured springs will work right. So you might take out the new springs and try the old old ones now that you have replaced the slide stop.

Posts liked by others
    Do you have any other 1911s, in .45 Auto? If you do, can you compare the slide stops of the .45 and the 9mm, particularly in the area where they contact the magazines? The 9mm slide stop should be a tad longer (extending to the right, as fitted in the gun).

Traditionally, 9mm slide stops were longer there, but lately some makers use the same (.45) slide stop for all guns, relying on magazines with special followers that mirror the layout of a .45 follower... but this is a bit risky, because occasionally someone in the gun company makes a change in their sourcing/supply of magazines, not realizing they're sending guns with problem mags to customers (it has happened to at least one big-name 1911 maker).

Alternatively, since you bought the gun used, it's possible that the previous owner did not like to have his mags locking back the slide when empty (some IPSC shooters prefer them this way) and modified the magazine followers for this purpose. Check the followers for any signs of modification. If possible, ask the previous owner.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast