Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common tuneup items

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Common tuneup items

I have found a few things that all the RIA pistols I've worked on seem to need. I'd like to know if others have found the same problems.

1. The sear spring is junk. I replace with a Colt spring.
    2. The mag catch is rough both inside and outside. A little attention with 320 grit paper is the fix.
    3. The mag catch spring is too stiff. I replace with an Ed Brown reduced power spring.

Those are the things I find need to be attended to in order to make the gun user friendly. Polishing the internals judiciously is something I hold off on until the owner has put a hundred or more rounds thru the gun. What have you guys found?
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others
    I have not found it common to need these items. Once in a while, possibly, but not as a rule.

Posts liked by others
    I have two RIA FS GI's in .45 Automatic. I have replaced the recoil springs and firing pin springs with Wolff products. I've never had any problems with either of these pistols and have no issues with the parts you mentioned.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    The only thing I ever replaced on my FS GI was the recoil spring (Wolff)...
    When Guns Are Outlawed
    Only Outlaws Will Have Guns

Posts liked by others
    Zero problems on my RIA

Posts liked by others
    I am still running the same sear spring that came on the gun in 2007. I'm guessing that I have at least 10,000 rounds through the gun on that spring. I replaced the mag catch with an oversize button a long time ago, but am still using the same spring that came with the gun...

YMMV
    Last edited by chbrow10; 13th March 2017 at 20:29.

Posts liked by others
    Sear springs don't have anything like the range of motion (and therefore, the hard life) of other springs in the pistol. If no problems with it are uncovered in the first few hundred rounds and you then leave it alone (i.e. not fumble with the leafs all the time, playing with your trigger pull), it should have little trouble with the next 20,000 rounds, possibly more.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (3) :
    Gruntshooter (14th March 2017), horse 91-A1 (1st November 2017), Rusty Guns (22nd January 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I haven't replaced anything on my Tactical yet. Of course, that may be because I'm still in my 10-day waiting period and don't have it yet!!
    However, one thing I learned in 40-some years in computers: If it ani't broke, dont "fix" it!
    Likes (1) :
    Rusty Guns (22nd January 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Other than one of my full size 1911s not functioning perfectly due to the factory 18.5 pound recoil spring (replaced with 16 lb), all my Rocks (6 at one time / now 3) have run well with the factory springs, some of which RIA customer service tells me, are purchased from Wolff.

Posts liked by others
    My FS Tactical would not chamber it's first round. Extractor looks like someone chewed on it. Had a spare EB, fixed. Installed a Wolff 16 lb spring, runs great. Stock 18.5 lb spring had less resistance (pencil test) than an old wore out 14 lb spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast