Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Problem with a 20-year old Wilson 8-shot

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Problem with a 20-year old Wilson 8-shot

There is a thread above about the dimple on GI magazine followers. My Dad bought a bunch of 8-shot Wilson magazines some 20+ years ago, with no dimple on the follower, and gave me two. When I tried them in my Colt Series 80, I got the type of problem discussed in the thread about the follower dimple. After I fired the next-to-last shot, I would find the pistol locked back and the last round sitting backwards on top of the follower, every time. I gave those two magazines away.

Recently, my father gave me most of his gun-related gear. In it were two more of those pretty, but ill-fated magazines.

What do I do to make these magazines usable? From the thread on follower dimples, I am guessing a stronger magazine spring or a follower with a dimple.

Posts liked by others
    You could get a replacement spring and follower from Wilson. Mine have a pimple on the follower. I was replacing mine about every other year when shooting IDPA CDP regularly.

Posts liked by others
    On another forum, the WilsonCombatRep commented the the dimple/pimple is needed for tapered feed lipped magazines, but magazines with wadcutter feed lips hold the rounds in the tube more securely, and the dimple/pimple is not needed. Of course Wilson makes wadcutter feed lipped mags and don't put a dimple/pimple on their followers. However, their newest "high tech" 9mm mags have a GI follower with a dimple/pimple. For what it's worth.

I've had very good success with wadcutter feed lipped mags without a dimple/pimple.

A point to be aware is that Wilson's 47D, an 8 round mag, has the same tube length as their full size 47, 7 round mag. To get the 8th round in a tube designed for 7 rounds, they changed the spring and follower. I suspect the compromise have left the 8 round 47D with less longevity than their 7 round 47.

I suspect you have a worn out spring. Wilson sells springs and followers for their mags http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Replacem...s/products/57/

Posts liked by others
    Hard to see how the pimple affects anything but the last round. When the spring force is at its lowest.

Posts liked by others
    Since Wilson has a lifetime warranty, when my springs get weak and start failing to lock back or give last round feeding issues, I send them back to Wilson for replacement. No sense in buying springs and followers for time ups she. You can just get the whole mag replaced
    Likes (1) :
    Johns961 (14th November 2017)