Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Milk Spec question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Milk Spec question

I have a Mil Spec with NM prefix. It is Geneseo marked.
    1 Is it forged or casted?
    2 Was it built here or over there?

I have only put a few hundred rounds thru it since I got it. I must say, it has not been easy. Slowly I am learning how to shoot this design. It is growing on me. My thoughts go out the the men who used these in the great wars. I can imagine that like the Garand, in its time this pistol was really advanced. A finely made weapon. But as G.I.s go, I am sure there was much complaining about them. In the end, we have always sent our guys out with the best weapons on the planet. The 1911 and the Garand are excellent examples of this fine American tradition. I am really proud of my plain jane government patterned weapons. They serve as reminders of where we come from and who we are.

Posts liked by others
    They're all marked Geneseo, as that's where Springfield was headquartered. What you are looking for is "Imbel", or "Made in Brazil", or similar. I've seen it under the grips, and on the bottom (outside) of the dust cover.
    The major components are forged.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    NM #'s are all US made and all of them after 2014 (I think on the years) have been 100% US made. There was NOTHING wrong with the ones made in Brazil either, but I get how it bugs some people to see it on their 1911's. Imbel makes some very fine weapons and has for a very long time.

Posts liked by others
    Prior to 2014 ALL Springfield 1911s (except the EMPs) were "made" in Brazil, by Imbel. Some of them were fully assembled in Brazil and shipped to the U.S. as complete pistols. Those will be marked "Made in Brazil." Others were shipped to the U.S. as parts, with final assembly in the U.S. Springfield was able to convince the government that the work performed in the U.S. was 51% or more of the labor, and so they were able to mark those as "Made in U.S.A." even though they weren't.

Since Springfield ended their relationship with Imbel, Springfield 1911s have all been made in the U.S.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (8th June 2019)

Posts liked by others
    When did they end their relationship with Imbel? Does this mean the new pistols are cast?

Posts liked by others
    2014 and no they are forged. At least every one that says it is on the website.