Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Colt 1911 National Match

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt 1911 National Match

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and also a new owner of a National Match Ser#31XXX-NM. It appears to be nickle plated and I believe that it has always been plated. The barrel is marked Colt 45 Auto NM. The front of the mag housing is checkered. It has a Elliason rear sight and it appears to be the original front blade sight. The grips appear to be a rubber wrap around grip with Colt emblems, not sure if these are original to the gun.

Now for my questions. Is this a real NM? When was it made? Is it collectible? If it is not to Collectible is it OK to shoot regularly. If I can shoot it what is the recommended ammo. If it is to collectible to shoot where can I find more info and a possible value?

Thanks Jim Parker
    Likes (1) :
    Cutta69 (5th February 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Guys after doing a little more research on my National Match I believe that it is a 60's model and since I cannot find anywhere that any were nickel plated by Colt, this had to be done at a later time. It shoots 230 gr ball very well. I shot 10 rounds at a slow fire 25 yard target at 25 yards and kept everything in the black except for 3 rounds which were two 6's and a 7. not to bad for just getting to know the pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like you have a shooter!

Posts liked by others
    That is one of the early Gold Cup National Match guns. The checkered front strap was not original but many were modified to suit after sale by the owners. These are great gun, I only have 3 of mine left now, all shoot quite well. On all of the pre 70 series GCNM there is some amount of material removed from the inside of the slide which some say might make them prone to breaking/cracking. It should be okay with standard and target loads though. I'd advise putting a new Wolf 16 pound recoil spring in it, maybe a new mainspring as well. These guns are only marked National Match on the slide but the box and paperwork would have said Gold Cup National Match. Congrats on a nice gun. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it's use. Welcome to the forum.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Joni

The top of the slide on the inside has been relieved as you described. So far all I have shot is 230g ball and it seems to handle this well. What target loads do you recommend to try with this pistol.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    I shoot 200 grain LSWC in most all of my 1911's. Does your gun have the odd shaped recoil spring plug, tapered edges instead of stepped? If so, don't lose it, there's no replacements. Also the pin that holds the rear sight in, those like to work their way out.
    I replaced the Accro rear sights on my older GCNM with Elliason sights. Here's a pic of the three I have left. The oldest one I currently have is from the first year of production, 1957.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 25th December 2016 at 07:18.

Posts liked by others
    If it helps, the serial# dates it to about 1968. I've never seen a factory nickle one and with the front checkering it would make sense that it's an aftermarket finish.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the replies to my post. I have taken a few pictures of my NM for review and comments. Thanks Joni and hotrod for helping me be better informed about my pistol. I thought the front of the mag well was checkered but as it turns out it is not checkered but groves, probably done aftermarket like the plating.

IMG_2432_edited-1.jpgIMG_2433_edited-1.jpgIMG_2437_edited-1.jpgIMG_2438_edited-1.jpgIMG_2439_edited-1.jpg

Posts liked by others
    The front strap SERRATION is factory.
    I doubt the nickel plating is, but never say never when it comes to a gun company.
    At least they didn't plate the sights, which is all that matters to the shooter.