Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to access m1911.org site

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Unable to access m1911.org site

Although I can access the forum I find that repeatedly I cannot access the main m1911.org site. I have only intermittently been able to access it. I have had the same experience using two different web browsers. What gives?

Posts liked by others
    It's late evening or nighttime now in Greece, so I don't know when John will see this. To help him try to diagnose, please provide as much information as you can re:

• Windows computer, or Apple?
    • Operating system?
    • Web browsers tried?
    • Is your IP static or dynamic?
    • Anti-virus software in use? If so, what?
    • Firewall? Hardware or software?
    • Exactly how are you attempting to reach www.m1911.org? Have you tried alternate ways to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages? If so, what are they?
    • Can you access the e-zine?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 30th November 2016 at 16:39.

Posts liked by others
    My operating system is Windows Vista. I have tried accessing the main site using both the latest versions of Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. I do have the free version of Avast antivirus running. I also have AdBlock Plus added on to Firefox, but turned it off for M1911.org. It made no difference.

I have a dynamic IP address. Like most all internet service providers in my area, my ISP uses a DHCP to assign temporary IP licenses. I think a static address option might be available at considerable additional expense. I do have a hardware router interposed between my cable modem and my computer. The IP address assigned to my computer by the router is static.

I have tried accessing the main site both by typing the address www.m1911.org in the browser address bar, or by clicking on the home page icon on the forum's website. In either case, the attempt just times out. With Mozilla Firefox I am simply told that m1911.org is taking too long to respond, and to try again later. With Internet Explorer I am given the option to run network diagnostics to research the problem. When I do so I am told that www.m1911.org is online, but cannot be accessed because a firewall is operating between the server and my computer. I am told that my computer is correctly configured to access the site.

I have not had problems of this type with accessing any other public websites.

I have only intermittently been able to access the home page, technical articles, and e-zine. When I have been able to do so, I have not done anything that might be construed as robotic or suspicious activity such as re-access the site many times daily.

Posts liked by others
    A slight correction to the last post: today, at least, I seem to be able to access the e-zine. But still no luck with the home page regardless of whether I try to access it directly, via this forum, or via the e-zine.

However, when I go to the e-zine my user name and password are not recognized. When I try to request a new password be emailed to me, I am told that my email address is not recognized. When I try to re-register, I am told that registration has been disabled by the administrator.
    Last edited by pblanc; 1st December 2016 at 12:17.

Posts liked by others
    I can't access the technical info or the other stuff on the homepage either. I figured it probably has something to do with the fact that my computer is so old I'm running Windows XP SP4 as my OS and the last addition of Chrome that works with XP as my browser. At least I can still see and participate in the forum.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    I can't either. I selected a topic, new window opened, thinks for a while, new window closes. Selecting another topic does nothing except "highlight" the topic.

Looked again just now. Now the section of the screen between the menu and the ads says:

This page can't be displayed
    -make sure the web address....
    -look for the page....
    -refresh...

Windows7 and Avast free version

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
    However, when I go to the e-zine my user name and password are not recognized. When I try to request a new password be emailed to me, I am told that my email address is not recognized. When I try to re-register, I am told that registration has been disabled by the administrator.
    That's because the e-zine is an on-line magazine, not a forum. It is read-only for everyone other than John and a couple of his editors. Discussion of the e-zine articles is carried out here, on this forum site. There should be a link to the appropriate discussion thread at the end of each e-zine article.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 1st December 2016 at 20:24.

Posts liked by others
    John and his ISP verified that there are not blocks of my IP in place and that, there never have been. My ISP verified that they do not have any blocks of m1911.org in place. Doran, 11 Bravo, pblanc, and I have run into something blocking access. My conclusion is the block is due to some some intermediary host between John's ISP and our systems.

Posts liked by others
    Odd that I can get to the site but it's just the links that don't work.

Posts liked by others
    Yah, that can be the first step to a ban. I have seen issues with sites, or upstream proxies, that have csf, fail2ban, or other configuration firewalls installed. Modern, HTML5 capable, browsers attempt to "improve user experience" by opening multiple, sometimes hundreds, of connections to a server in order to cache web content. csf, and its ilk, interpret this as an attack and roll the requesting IP into their block list.

A managed hosting site using CPanel generally includes CSF by default. That is a good idea from a security perspective and is something I would recommend in spite of the concomitant risk of false positive bans. Bans can also be brought into place upstream from a host using solutions such as Suruci's CloudProxy that incorporates Crosssite scripting controls (XSS blocks) and other OSI model layer 7 (application) defenses. Such upstream solutions can be brought into place without the knowledge of the ISP or host owner. Upstream solutions can also include content filtering, aka censorship, which can include filtering subjects such as the theme of the m1911 site.

Occam insists that censorship takes the lowest position of hypothetical causality. Thus an upstream proxy or firewall is my current suspect of interest. On the other hand, I recall CSF bans are temporary, so time might solve the connectivity issues. Even if CSF temporary bans are the issue, blocks will periodically reoccur.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast