Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn to Reload or Buy a 22LR pistol

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Sounds like the range charges double if you take two pistols. Would the range consider a 1911 with an optional conversion unit one pistol or two pistols?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Sounds like the range charges double if you take two pistols. Would the range consider a 1911 with an optional conversion unit one pistol or two pistols?
    You're right, they do. I haven't noticed anyone out there with a conversion kit.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I had a Ruger 22/45. They are good guns -- and I hated it. The grip angle emulates that of the 1911, but the similarity ends there. For those who just want something to plink with, a 22/45 is probably a good choice -- but after buying it I would suggest investing in the conversion that makes it possible for humanoids with only two hands to reassemble it after field stripping.
    Ruger's latest iteration of the 22/45 (and their other .22s) addresses this particular issue, but I'd still vote for a 1911 with a .22LR conversion.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    After reading this post I have to get out my Lee reloading kit I bought years ago with some dies and finally get around to setting it up and reloading myself.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    This may just be me, but I find reloading to be a very satisfying hobby that supports my shooting. The constant attention to detail is also good for this old brain.

In a couple of days I can put together several hundred rounds on a single stage press. I typically shoot 50 rnds at a time at the range, but try to go every week or so.Like everything else that involves muscle memory, I notice when I go a few weeks without practice. My groups get bigger.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    My $.02.
    Started loading .357 mag with a Lee pound in/out kit sometime early '70's, moved to a RCBS Rockchucker and then a Dillon 650 and Redding T7 turret. Still have all.
    Most of my current loading and where I see the most benefit is being able to tailor loads to the activity and gun. For me the only way I can manage extended handgun training is shooting really light 9mm loads in a 1911. Can't buy 'em this light. But in the past I've loaded a good bit of 45 for training, IPSC and IDPA.
    Somehow you have to manage the cost, time, and needs into the big equation. Often you don't have sufficient information and experience to make the best decision until you jump in.
    I wish you well, it's an interesting and educational journey.
    Jim

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirdnut View Post
    Sounds like its off to look at a Walther/Colt Government 22.
    That, or a GSG. The GSG field strips (and detail strips) more like a "real" 1911. Other than that, both are good choices.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...-by-Umarex-USA

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...-AD-OPS-Review

As to the "real" (meaning centerfire) 1911s, if you reload you can tailor the ammo to the shooter. Several years ago I worked with a guy who talked his wife into getting her carry permit when he got his. I took them to the range a couple of times and the wife shot very well with my Ruger 22/45, but she was really REALLY afraid of centerfire muzzle blast. Even my 9mm Colt Commander was too much for her, and I didn't want her to develop a flinch that would be hard to overcome.

So I fired up the reloading press. I got a bag of 90- or 95-grain FMJ bullets that were intended for loading .380 ACP, and I worked up a load in 9mm cases that was equivalent to a light .380 ACP load. Shooting those through the all-steel Commander was hardly different from shooting high velocity .22 LR, so she was able to make the transition into centerfire without learning bad habits. (Yes, I had to use a very light recoil spring or the gun wouldn't function.)
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I was thinking about a GSG for a while. Getting the Walther/Colt 1911 was something I considered, but I've came up with another idea. You've probably seen my post in the RIA forum about building a 1911 with the RIA frame from Sarco. I'm thinking about building up the RIA frame as a .22LR using a conversion kit.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirdnut View Post
    I was thinking about a GSG for a while. Getting the Walther/Colt 1911 was something I considered, but I've came up with another idea. You've probably seen my post in the RIA forum about building a 1911 with the RIA frame from Sarco. I'm thinking about building up the RIA frame as a .22LR using a conversion kit.
    That's exactly what I did, except that at the time Sarco had a "no name," not-guaranteed-to-fit-anything frame for $25, and that's what I used. I put a Ciener conversion on it and it worked perfectly.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't be a fair source....I am not really a .22 fan but I sure do enjoy reloading, both handgun and rifle.

For me, reloading is relaxing, challenging, great results from ammo that is not factory available and can be much less expensive. My .45 ACP ammo for practice is .10 cents a rd.
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 8th January 2017 at 14:50.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast