Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn to Reload or Buy a 22LR pistol

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Most view reloading as a worthwhile hobby itself but find savings usually don't appear because it results in more shooting. If cost your main driver I found these general examples comparing cost-per-round (I didn't check the math). Unless you have a 22 pistol or conversion unit already consider that cost also in your startup/breakeven analysis:

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/06/shou...#axzz4RZdWuYV2

http://www.midwayusa.com/22-long-rifle/br?cid=22516
    Ammo cost is the biggest thing for me. I go to an outdoor range where they change per gun. So for about 20 bucks or so I can take my 22 rifle and my 1911 out and shoot as much as I want.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2bya View Post
    I say yes to both. .22LR gives you lots of good cheap practice with sight alignment and trigger pull, but you still need a fair amount of practice dealing with recoil and getting sights back online for follow-up shots.
    No argument here. I like poking holes in paper, but it sure can add up when you're doing it with a 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    After getting the hang of reloading you can get into bullet casting and save even more - provided you have a reliable local source of lead or lead-alloy wheel weights (not the zinc or steel ones).

Regards
    I am lucky to have a small family owned shop that stocks a good amount of reloading supplies close by. It's probably time to take a trip over there and take a closer look at what they've got.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Another vote for "both," if you can afford it. After avoiding it for years because I was sure I'd make a mistake and blow off a few fingers, I finally delved intio reloading several years ago. So far, I've retained all my digits and I haven't blown up any guns. IMHO, there's no better way to start than a Lee Turret press, and you can get a Turret press starter kit for a hundred bucks or less, plus the cost of dies. .45 ACP brass can be reused many times, so start saving your brass now. The only expenditures then become bullets, primers, and powder.

Although I keep reading that .22 ammo is becoming more available now, I haven't seen it locally. The price of .22LR at the local range shop (where they sell only what you're going to shoot that day, not allowed to buy any for take-home) is high enough that I think it's cheaper for me to shoot my own .45 ACP reloads.
    Yea, I don't know what the deal was with 22 ammo a while back. The Walmart by my house still limits the number of boxes you can buy. It was hit and miss (pardon the pun) with them for a long time. About 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't have any. If I was there and they had it, I'd buy the limit. I actually missed buying ammo a few times because I'd see it and then go get some other stuff and come back to Sporting Goods. I finally gave up and found a small local shop that had a decent stock. I paid a bit more, but they had it in stock. I've been lucky to have a few small shops close along with the box stores.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911end View Post
    I really loved reloading for rifles, 20-30 rounds at a time was enough for a day at the range. Now trying to load 2-300 rounds of 45 for the pistol is way too much work with a single stage press. If you plan to reload for pistols, you should look into a progressive press, that's what I'll be doing when my current stash runs out.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Posts liked by others
    Another vote for "both," if you can afford it. ... .45 ACP brass can be reused many times, so start saving your brass now. The only expenditures then become bullets, primers, and powder.
    I've been grabbing some of my brass when it lands on top of the benches. They're pretty quick sweeping up the spent cartridges where I go.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I have been reloading for years and feel that is the only way to go. I also use a laser lite in one gun to use for dry firing as it does allow you to see where your shot would have gone. On the range a couple of times a week and dry fire almost every day. That is the best way to save money. But do not cut down on actual range time.
    I'm looking at some laser training tools. I just wish that they were some other color than brass. I did find an Android app that works with the laser trainers. I need to see if I can find it again. I could use paper targets with it and not have to spend money on a dedicated target.

I was surprised that I haven't been able to find a 1911 laser trainer. Seems like they're all Glocks based on what I've found.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by .45s r best View Post
    I also vote yes to reloading. I agree with Doran when he says that it is a worthwhile hobby. In my opinion, reloading now goes hand in hand with trips to the range. If the weather or my work load is such that I cannot get to the range, I have found reloading in my basement to be a good alternative. I have found that it has also increased my knowledge of firearms and shooting. I have long since reached the point where it is cheaper to reload than purchasing factory ammo. However, should we experience shortages of shooting supplies like in the past few years, I would strongly discourage anybody to take up reloading...so there are more supplies for me haha!
    Since my oldest daughter is interested in going into forensics (at least for now) this would good thing for us to get into.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirdnut View Post
    The question then becomes do I want to get a 1911 22 or get a Ruger 22/45.
    I had a Ruger 22/45. They are good guns -- and I hated it. The grip angle emulates that of the 1911, but the similarity ends there. For those who just want something to plink with, a 22/45 is probably a good choice -- but after buying it I would suggest investing in the conversion that makes it possible for humanoids with only two hands to reassemble it after field stripping.

But ... it isn't a 1911, and at heart I'm a 1911 kind of person. I wanted to be shooting a 1911, even when shooting .22. Somewhere along the way I threw a Ciener .22LR conversion kit on a junk 1911 receiver, and I never used the 22/45 again. It sat in the gun safe for years, until I finally sold it just a couple of months ago. It's one pistol I'm sure I'll never miss.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I had a Ruger 22/45. They are good guns -- and I hated it. The grip angle emulates that of the 1911, but the similarity ends there. For those who just want something to plink with, a 22/45 is probably a good choice -- but after buying it I would suggest investing in the conversion that makes it possible for humanoids with only two hands to reassemble it after field stripping.
    That's good to know. That old Ruger of my Dad's isn't that much fun to clean either.

But ... it isn't a 1911, and at heart I'm a 1911 kind of person. I wanted to be shooting a 1911, even when shooting .22. Somewhere along the way I threw a Ciener .22LR conversion kit on a junk 1911 receiver, and I never used the 22/45 again. It sat in the gun safe for years, until I finally sold it just a couple of months ago. It's one pistol I'm sure I'll never miss.
    Sounds like its off to look at a Walther/Colt Government 22.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast