Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learn to Reload or Buy a 22LR pistol

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Learn to Reload or Buy a 22LR pistol

I've been debating about getting a 22lr 1911 to save cost on ammo or buy the gear and learn to reload.

Posts liked by others
    I say yes to both. .22LR gives you lots of good cheap practice with sight alignment and trigger pull, but you still need a fair amount of practice dealing with recoil and getting sights back online for follow-up shots.

Posts liked by others
    After getting the hang of reloading you can get into bullet casting and save even more - provided you have a reliable local source of lead or lead-alloy wheel weights (not the zinc or steel ones).

Regards
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Most view reloading as a worthwhile hobby itself but find savings usually don't appear because it results in more shooting. If cost your main driver I found these general examples comparing cost-per-round (I didn't check the math). Unless you have a 22 pistol or conversion unit already consider that cost also in your startup/breakeven analysis:

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/06/shou...#axzz4RZdWuYV2

http://www.midwayusa.com/22-long-rifle/br?cid=22516
    Last edited by Doran; 1st December 2016 at 03:03.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2bya View Post
    I say yes to both. .22LR gives you lots of good cheap practice with sight alignment and trigger pull, but you still need a fair amount of practice dealing with recoil and getting sights back online for follow-up shots.
    Another vote for "both," if you can afford it. After avoiding it for years because I was sure I'd make a mistake and blow off a few fingers, I finally delved into reloading several years ago. So far, I've retained all my digits and I haven't blown up any guns. IMHO, there's no better way to start than a Lee Turret press, and you can get a Turret press starter kit for a hundred bucks or less, plus the cost of dies. .45 ACP brass can be reused many times, so start saving your brass now. The only expenditures then become bullets, primers, and powder.

Although I keep reading that .22 ammo is becoming more available now, I haven't seen it locally. The price of .22LR at the local range shop (where they sell only what you're going to shoot that day, not allowed to buy any for take-home) is high enough that I think it's cheaper for me to shoot my own .45 ACP reloads.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 1st January 2017 at 14:40.

Posts liked by others
    I really loved reloading for rifles, 20-30 rounds at a time was enough for a day at the range. Now trying to load 2-300 rounds of 45 for the pistol is way too much work with a single stage press. If you plan to reload for pistols, you should look into a progressive press, that's what I'll be doing when my current stash runs out.

Posts liked by others
    I have been reloading for years and feel that is the only way to go. I also use a laser lite in one gun to use for dry firing as it does allow you to see where your shot would have gone. On the range a couple of times a week and dry fire almost every day. That is the best way to save money. But do not cut down on actual range time.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.

Posts liked by others
    I also vote yes to reloading. I agree with Doran when he says that it is a worthwhile hobby. In my opinion, reloading now goes hand in hand with trips to the range. If the weather or my work load is such that I cannot get to the range, I have found reloading in my basement to be a good alternative. I have found that it has also increased my knowledge of firearms and shooting. I have long since reached the point where it is cheaper to reload than purchasing factory ammo. However, should we experience shortages of shooting supplies like in the past few years, I would strongly discourage anybody to take up reloading...so there are more supplies for me haha!

Posts liked by others
    Conventional wisdom says to learn to reload on a single stage press, the move up. I started on Dillon 550 and have not looked back. If you go that route just use one stage at a time until you get the hang of it.

As Doran said, it is no cheaper to reload, but you do get to shoot more for the same money. If you keep a few years worth of supplies on hand, any shortages of ammo are hardly noticed.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Most view reloading as a worthwhile hobby itself but find savings usually don't appear because it results in more shooting. If cost your main driver I found these general examples comparing cost-per-round (I didn't check the math). Unless you have a 22 pistol or conversion unit already consider that cost also in your startup/breakeven analysis:

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/06/shou...#axzz4RZdWuYV2

http://www.midwayusa.com/22-long-rifle/br?cid=22516
    Thanks for the article. I've got to look into it a bit more. I did find a place to take the NRA reloading class, but I haven't looked at the details yet. I'm leaning towards getting a 22 pistol. My oldest daughter I think would be happier with shooting a lighter 22 pistol. My youngest daughter has no interest in shooting the 1911 right now. So most likely I'll go the 22 route for now. For now, I could probably get away with getting my Dad's old Ruger 22 from my brother. My oldest one didn't do too bad with it when we got the family together at the range. I might actually get my youngest one to try the Ruger. The question then becomes do I want to get a 1911 22 or get a Ruger 22/45. The Mk 1 that belonged to my Dad has served us well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast