Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This place has sure gone down the tubes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

This place has sure gone down the tubes

Maybe the obnoxious moderation policies?

Posts liked by others
    What obnoxious moderation policies? Are you referring to the rules, which are pretty much the same as every other forum on the Internet, and which seem to be rarely invoked on this site except in extreme cases?

THOSE moderation policies?

Personally, I find the moderating on The High Road to be far more obnoxious -- which is why I don't participate there any more.

Posts liked by others
    There is no activity here anymore. BTW, I find it amusing that a moderator edited your post. You know what was edited, so you tell us whether it was obnoxious.

But I refer to stuff like warnings for posting in the "wrong" forum where a post could be appropriate in one of two forums. Maybe just move it? Stuff like that.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by satkinson View Post
    But I refer to stuff like warnings for posting in the "wrong" forum where a post could be appropriate in one of two forums. Maybe just move it? Stuff like that.
    That works fine, the first time. But it tends to become a problem eventually.

To be honest, it's been a while since we have slacked our criteria quite a lot, especially when it comes to 'wrong forum' alerts and warnings, generally issuing them only when it's clear that a) there's only one right place for them and it's not the one they're in and/or b) when the member in question appears to know they're posting in the wrong area and don't care. Or when it's the umpteenth time we've had to move a post for this particular member.

The traffic in the forum has dropped significantly, yes, but I really doubt moderating has much to do with it. It's been at least a couple of years since we've informally become generous in our 'wrong forum' infractions, so if moderating somehow was the cause I guess it would have had fixed itself a long time ago.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    A lot of the old posters who were a treasure trove of reliable information have apparently left the forum. For what whatever reason, I don't know.

Posts liked by others
    Having been around here for more than nine years (yikes! It doesn't seem that long), I have certainly noticed a drop in participation. Curiously, the drop seems to have begun (or perhaps become more obvious) only in the last year or two, which was AFTER the moderators stopped enforcing the rules as strictly as they did when I first joined.

We have lost some valuable contributors. Personally, I miss 1911Tuner. Don't know where he went -- he used to be active on two or three other forums besides this one, and he hasn't been on any of them for awhile (unless I've managed to miss all his posts). I hope he's okay.

A couple of other former members have passed away, and will be missed (at least by me).

I don't know why active participation has dropped off, but I don't think it's because of the moderating. I think it's a combination of people being more busy trying to keep their heads above water in a poor economy, and people gravitating toward other handgun platforms besides the 1911. If you peruse the handguns discussion area at The Firing Line forum, for example, you'll find lots and lots of discussion about Glocks and XDs and a couple of other plastic pistols, but only occasional threads about 1911s. The 1911 is still popular, but it seems much of its popularity is among shooters who already own one or more 1911s. New shooters seem to be attracted to the polymer pistols, so they naturally join up on forums where they can discuss those pistols.

Posts liked by others
    Well being one of the "new guys", maybe part of the issue is that there is a lot of information in the forum posts. I'm a newbie to handguns as well 1911s. A good bit of the time I can find the answer in the forum post.
    Likes (4) :
    11 Bravo (24th October 2016), dV8r (25th October 2016), garrettwc (26th October 2016), Joni Lynn (24th October 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Maybe the obnoxious moderation policies?
    I haven't noticed, but if it has changed it is likely because you have not contributed positively in several years.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(
    Likes (1) :
    woolieworm (25th October 2016)

Last edited by dV8r; 25th October 2016 at 08:19.

Posts liked by others
    There is no activity here anymore.
    Let's see -- you haven't posted here since mid-April, which was more than six months ago. You certainly aren't helping to generate traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by satkinson
    I just went back and reviewed the lengthy exchange you had with John in a previous discussion. For those who missed that one, what you continue to refer to as "warnings" were not warnings, they were alerts. And they did not carry any points. And that point was made clear to you in that earlier discussion by John himself. Further, in that discussion you admitted that a moderator had acknowledged being wrong about ONE of the two posts you complained about. John explained very clearly why the moderator was NOT wrong about the other one, but you apparently refuse to accept the explanation -- which anyone can verify by reading that thread and then following John's explanation.

I get that you don't get it but I can't understand why, after six months of inactivity, you suddently decided to come back and make another attempt to mislead the membership about how moderation works on this site.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 25th October 2016 at 19:02.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    That works fine, the first time. But it tends to become a problem eventually.

To be honest, it's been a while since we have slacked our criteria quite a lot, especially when it comes to 'wrong forum' alerts and warnings, generally issuing them only when it's clear that a) there's only one right place for them and it's not the one they're in and/or b) when the member in question appears to know they're posting in the wrong area and don't care. Or when it's the umpteenth time we've had to move a post for this particular member..
    AMEN.... There has to be some order. Having been on message boards of some sort or another since the mid 80's, I don't like digging through a bunch of irrelevant posts. Moderators don't need to be following behind a user like a spoiled brat's mother cleaning up the mess. Moderators aren't mothers that have to live with a brat. Sure an occasional post winds up in the wrong area and a warning/suggestion is a good thing. But when enough is enough, a swift boot out the door is fine with me.

I've even seen forums where you don't only get a warning from the moderators, but get chastised my other forum users.
    Likes (1) :
    woolieworm (26th October 2016)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast