Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Info on this Par

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Need Info on this Par

Today I will take ownership of another Para Ordnance pistol this is your basic 14-45. This pistol came out a few years back, it is a sand color and the the side is TF BASTOGNE, on the rear trigicon sight is the screaming eagle (101st Airborne) and on other side is a shield, I was wondering if some could enlighten me on this pistol, I understand there were issued to certain Squadrons in Iraq, any info would be helpful, the gent I'm buying it from is a friend of the vet who previously owned her. When I get it I will try to post some pics, Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    I don't believe Para-Ordnance (or ParaUSA) pistols were ever issued to any U.S. military units. Para-Ordnance, when they were still in Canada, for awhile had a program for creating unique pistols for specific units in the military. They were sold (not issued) only to members of those units, and had rollmarks dedicated to the respective units. I don't know if they should rightly be classified as commemoratives, but that's probably closer to being an accurate description than anything else I can think of. It's not unlike the program that Colt has (or used to have) with West Point, in which they create a batch of special pistols for the members of each graduating class.

I would guess that the pistol you're looking at is one of these unique unit pistols. But I don't understand the "TF BASTOGNE" marking. The Siege of Bastogne was an engagement in December 1944 between American and German forces at the Belgian town of Bastogne, as part of the larger Battle of the Bulge. It may be that some members of the 101st who participated in the siege of Bastogne had a batch of pistols made up for them to commemorate the battle, but that obviously wouldn't have had anything to do with Iraq.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    It is my understanding that "TF BASTOGNE" is or was a Combat Brigade in Afganistan. If I am incorrect, please correct me.
    N.R.A. BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    ILLINOIS STATE RIFLE ASSOCIATION MEMBER
    Likes (1) :
    terryf71 (3rd December 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post
    It is my understanding that "TF BASTOGNE" is or was a Combat Brigade in Afganistan. If I am incorrect, please correct me.
    Looks like you're correct:

https://www.army.mil/article/52648/t...-afghan-roads/

So this pistol would be one of those unit group purchases I mentioned above. These were private purchases -- they were not issued by the Army, and as far as I know they were not authorized for use on duty.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 29th November 2016 at 21:18.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Looks like you're correct:

https://www.army.mil/article/52648/t...-afghan-roads/

So this pistol would be one of those unit group purchases I mentioned above. These were private purchases -- they were not issued by the Army, and as far as I know they were not authorized for use on duty.
    Yes. I believe that the various unit members purchased them with the intent to take possession of their pistols when they returned stateside.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    IMG_20161127_152700_517.jpg. Here are some pictures

Posts liked by others
    Unfortunately that picture did not work out, tried downloading two others but only this one went through. Anyway this is one pic. I have the gun but I'm having problems with it, the gent I got it from said it might have magazine problems, when you shoot the gun as the slide comes back to eject the round, the magazine pushes the next round up, never letting the fired round to eject. At that point the fired round is half-way out of barrel with a new round pressed against it. I thought extractor but when you load magazine with 14 rounds and work the slide all 14 rounds will eject. I tried other springs (mag) and the best was 5 shots with no problem, then gun stopped with round remaining in barrel with new round behind it. Any thoughts? Yes Hawkmoon and TBear you were correct.

Posts liked by others
    IMG_20161127_152604_731.jpg. Hopefully this pic will post

Posts liked by others
    IMG_20161127_152628_008.jpg. Another picture gun was made In Pineville NC. I remember seeing them a few years ago.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by terryf71 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Extractor.

It's probably Para's proprietary extractor, and they had enough problems with it that they finally abandoned it. EGW Gunworks has a special conventional-type extractor that fits those guns.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (2nd December 2016), terryf71 (3rd December 2016)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast