Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Just wondering

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Just wondering

I have been working on a new load for the 185gn H&G 130, I want this to be my everyday practice round.

Personally I like to be a bit towards lighter loads, a pet peave of mine is slamming moving parts around harder than necessary on a consistent basis. I always told my kids I can afford to buy some things but I can't afford to wear them out prematurely, if only I was a Trump!

I started with 4.3gn of 231 and made my way up to 4.9 gn.

It was my intent in developing this load to stay around 4.5gn I am going to stay at 4.9 to 5gn for this reason...the gun feels so smooth and peaceful, shoots at point of aim with tighter groups at the higher but unintended powder charge.

Here is my wonderment....has anyone else experienced their gun "feeling" as if you stumbled upon it's sweet spot. I don't know if I am imagining this or not but the gun really has felt very at home with 4.9 gn of 231, I would almost say the gun is telling me what it prefers. The fired cases seem to reflect this also, no crescents, no nicked up rims, the case mouth is round and clean etc.

Happy Thanksgivng!
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 24th November 2016 at 02:09.

Posts liked by others
    Yes, different guns do better with certain loads. It is almost like they prefer one load to another.

Some bullets are more accurate than others and some powers are more accurate than others. 231 is a good powder.

You could shoot several different loads out of a Ransom rest to find out which is the most accurate in your weapon.

Posts liked by others
    I load all my practice rounds, regardless of caliber, with the same bullet weight, and to have the same recoil characteristics and shoot to the same POA=POI, as my carry ammo.

So, no light loads for me.

I'm not a bullseye shooter, and shoot IDPA as a means to keep the skills up that I've acquired through training.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 25th November 2016 at 14:17.

Posts liked by others
    Unless you abuse your gun, it will out live you and probably your kids. You will probably never fire the equivalent of the 50,000+ rounds of hardball that so many military service pistols survived.
    No, I have never felt that I found a load that "feels good" in my gun as you describe.
    Your load duplicates a load that many have used in Bullseye competition.
    I can say that my .45s do better with the H&G #130 and 4.1gn of 231/HP38 or 4.0gn of Red Dot.
    Are you casting your own?
    If you want commercial and can try something else, I get better accuracy with the Zero swaged 185gn L-SWCHP.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I am not casting my own..I use Dardas bullets.

i switched to the 185 cast for practice because I carry PNW with a 185 Barnes.

The whole deal is an attempt to see if Bill Wilson is correct about the short barrel 1911's working better with lighter bullets and stronger mainsprings. We'll see, I am approaching 600 rounds now without a hitch in a gun that couldn't load 4 out of 7 reliably.

i will be adding another 300 rounds to that this coming weekend. I will feel comfortable using that little 45 as a carry gun when I get 1,200 rounds or so trouble free through it.