Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Today's 700x Loads and Results

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Today's 700x Loads and Results

Hello,

Today I took some time to start working up loads with 700x in the .45acp. I used the Lee Disk system and kept careful notes due to this powder's tendency to bridge.

Before I started, I mixed two heaping teaspoons of powdered graphite into the pound of 700x.

Bullet used was the Lee Truncated Cone Flat Point, traditional lube, 230grn. It was 240grn cast from pure Pb and lubed with 1 part beeswax, 1 part lanolin, and 1/2 part each of olive oil and canola oil. This is a very soft, sticky lube. COAL was 1.20".

I started with the 0.49cc hole.

Throw 1 was 3.5grns.
    Throw 2 was 3.6grns.
    Throw 3 was 3.5grns.
    Throw 4 was 3.45grns.
    Throw 5 was 3.35grns.

I fired these, and ejection was on the weak side with spent casings being sooty.

I then upped to the 0.53cc hole.

Throw 1 was 3.8grns.
    Throw 2 was 3.6grns.
    Throw 3 was 3.75grns.
    Throw 4 was 3.7grns.
    Throw 5 was 3.65grns.

The next five kept the 0.53cc hole, but I whacked the press with a piece of wood to settle the powder into the cavity.

Throw 6 was 3.7grns.
    Throw 7 was 3.9grns.
    Throw 8 was 3.9grns.
    Throw 9 was 3.9grns.
    Throw 10 was 3.9grns.

Ejection was more positive with these loads, and the spent cases were less sooty. I believe I'll work up to the cavity that makes the cases fully seal and go with that as a range and woods load. There's plenty of thump to handle most critters around here, and I don't like chasing after brass. I'm guessing that charge will be around 4.3 to 4.5grns, and I don't see myself going much, if any, over that last.

Probably should invest in a chronograph one day.

Regarding the powder's metering qualities, I did not encounter any problems that folks have related regarding bridging etc. This could be due to the graphite I added, but I do not know for sure because I didn't try it without the graphite.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Josh

Posts liked by others
    Hey Josh:

My standard .45 acp load for the last 25-30 years has been a cast 230gr LRN over 4.8gr of 700X.

It's a bit dirty, but it is an accurate load.

I don't care for powder puff loads myself, as I want my range and carry ammo in any caliber to be the same POA=POI.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Right, don't like powder puff myself.

Because these bullets weigh in at 10grns over their supposed 230grns, I'm approaching higher loads with caution.

It's good to know you're at 4.8. How deep are you seating?

Regards,

Josh

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Right, don't like powder puff myself.

Because these bullets weigh in at 10grns over their supposed 230grns, I'm approaching higher loads with caution.

It's good to know you're at 4.8. How deep are you seating?

Regards,

Josh
    Josh:

I'm seating to the standard "thumbnail thickness" of the edge showing above the case mouth.

I can check with a caliper on a bullet (projectile) if you like.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 23rd November 2016 at 18:39.

Posts liked by others
    I get weights of 3.4gn for the 0.49cc and 3.6gn for the 0.53cc, so you are right where I would have expected.
    However, you are also below any start load I have in my manuals (4.0, 4.2, and 4.3gn of 700X), so I can believe that your cases were not sealing the bore.

Just my own experience, but I always shake every powder measure to settle the powder before I ever start to weigh charges and I always throw at least ten charges (and return the powder to the hopper) before I ever start to weigh any (and throw at least three charges if I just make a small change to an adjustable metering assembly).

Do you have a scale accurate enough for 0.05gn measurements?

Pure lead? Not even wheel weights, but 100% pure lead?
    I can't cast pure lead and need about 1% tin to actually get good bullet fill.
    NRA Life Member