Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIA Ultra CCO

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by galena View Post
    . But I just removed the Compact upper and plugged in the Cmdr upper, took it out to my pasture range, loaded up and it has never failed to run. Good luck in your quest, projects like these are fun although they can be frustrating and expensive if they don't work out. I know because I have a drawer full of parts that didn't work out like I planned.
    Well now that I know it can be done it may be project time. Looks like my Christmas list just got longer.

Posts liked by others
    bczrx, It looks pretty good to me. Did you have to do a lot of fitting on the frame and slide?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    Nice work!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cf45 View Post
    bczrx, It looks pretty good to me. Did you have to do a lot of fitting on the frame and slide?
    It is a RIA Mid-Size slide and RIA Mid-Sized bull-barrel, on a RIA Compact frame. I don't know if I 'got lucky' or not, but the only real fitting that was needed was a bit of hood length adjustment on the barrel. The rest slide together pretty snugly, and lined up right.

For a SD gun, it is pretty darned accurate- and I love the balance in my hand.

What I DID run into is an issue, that I can't avoid due to where I live: RIA Compact frames leave a noticeable gap on the lower tangs where the grip safety fits. I used RIA GS, and then tried fitting EdBrown, as well as EGW. I went back to RIA after running into the same problem. I then tried to have an RIA GS welded up to allow me to file/blend that area to remove the gap. I couldn't make it fit right. Maybe I don't have the patience. I gave up and stuck with the factory GS there, but blended the top/bottom/sides to have a smooth transition, and it still left that irritating gap. I have to live with it.

I am in California, so I can't buy a frame unless it is being sold by someone face to face in the state- and that is why I used an RIA frame, as I DID find one [Like the Caspian I found 5 years ago].

Posts liked by others
    Maybe its the tolerances the RIA uses to make sure everything fits.
    I think I am going to try and find a CCO but in the meantime I am going to start looking around for the parts to cobble one together. Sounds like it might be a fun project.
    One interesting thing. I found a 2014 article in Gunmag.com about a company called Guncrafter Industries that has produced a 9mm "CCO" based on an officer's style frame and Commander slide.
    I appears that it is a custom gun though and out of my price range.

It must be tough being in California and trying to pursue a gun hobby.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Guncrafter's owner, Alex Zimmermann is a good friend. And a stand-up guy!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I am sure of that. The examples he shows of his work on the website are incredible.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cf45 View Post
    I have checked. There are a few quite a distance away, but I have a friend who is an FFL and I am going to contact him to see what we can find. Thanks for the help.
    The dealer I went through didn't appear to be on Armscorp's list, but they were on Lipseys dealer list. Maybe you'll find some one there.

Posts liked by others
    I would think you can make it work, as here's something that Colt did back in 1985 for Lew Horton. The Lieutenant Commander (one of 500), which is basically an Officer's upper on a LW Commander frame:

So, if an Officer's upper will function on a Commander frame; a Commander upper should function on an Officer's frame.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (8th February 2017)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 29th November 2016 at 21:11.

Posts liked by others
    After doing a ton of searching and research I decided to build my own RIA CCO from my CS. All steel too!

20170721_192107.jpg
    More pix here:
    https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=826385

Another thread about the RIA CCO

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=824641

Hope these help
    Likes (1) :
    cf45 (26th August 2017)

Last edited by urbandork; 26th August 2017 at 01:43.

Posts liked by others
    That is a great option and one I have considered as well. Did you swap parts from an existing gun or buy new slide parts? I have seen new slides on Advance Tacticals website but could not find an MS slide in 45.
    Good looking gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast