Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Discussion on our E-zine review of Check-Mate Extended Magazines

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Discussion on our E-zine review of Check-Mate Extended Magazines

Please use this thread to discuss our E-zine review on Check-Mate Extended Magazines.

Thank you.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Last edited by John; 13th November 2016 at 07:10.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the review.

I generally like standard length tubes, but then I also generally prefer 7 round full size mags. It is good to see more Extended tube 8 rounders being made available from the various makers. I have couple of standard length CheckMate 8 rounders and they really are too short, in my opinion, to be 8 rounders. The extended tube is a better idea for 8 round mags.

I like the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF). It seems like a logical improvement over the Devel follower Chip McCormick uses in their mags, which seems like it was based on, using the bullnose front leg to keep the follower in the tube, which is a problem with the Devel follower. It also seems like a more durable design than the old GI follower that splits the front of the follower and puts two 90 degree bends in one half of the split to create the front leg to catch the slide stop lobe. I haven't broken a GI follower, but I can see it could be a weak point.

The only downside I see to the CheckMate follower is removing it from the tube. I use a needle nose pliers to pinch the top part down to the lower half, and then rotate it aft to get the front leg out of the tube, and the rest follows. It's not as easy to get out as a Devel or GI follower, but probably easier than the Tripp hybrid follower pictured in the review.

Of all the things I like about CheckMate mags, the thing I like the most is the dimple at the top of tube that helps clear the mag catch. CheckMate is one of the few makers (they may be the only one, though I think Wilson's ETM has it) that have that feature. It really makes inserting the mags much smoother.
    Last edited by JTQ; 15th November 2016 at 12:42.

Posts liked by others
    I'm pretty familiar with CheckMate's line-up, and to the best of my knowledge they don't make their extended tube (with their own brand on it) mag with anything other than hybrid feed lips. However, while the different feed lip designs are described, I didn't notice it mentioned what type of feed lips these mags have. I assume hybrid feed lips, correct?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm pretty familiar with CheckMate's line-up, and to the best of my knowledge they don't make their extended tube (with their own brand on it) mag with anything other than hybrid feed lips. However, while the different feed lip designs are described, I didn't notice it mentioned what type of feed lips these mags have. I assume hybrid feed lips, correct?
    Yes Sir, that is correct.

Also, since the eight round mag base is removeable, no messing about with pliers to remove the follower is necessary.

Thank you for your comments about the article!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer