Greetings! As the happy new owner of a .45ACP Kimber Ultra CDP II, I was recently reading the posts in the Kimber section. I came across a closed thread for the Kimber Ultra Tool http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...to-strip-ultra

I was intrigued with this simple tool despite a few fellow members saying it wasn't worth the money; the wire as all you need, etc. I also own a Springfield EMP, another very nice firearm even though it is 9mm. My EMP is very similar to my Kimber, very close in size and features, but it uses a piece of plastic tube to field strip it. Actually, both weapons can easily be field stripped without the use of a tool, but reassembly is a bit difficult because you have to hold the slide in the exact position to get the slide stop aligned with the take down notch and seated, all the while fighting the recoil spring.

Depending on which Ultra Tool you have, it positions the slide in the exact spot or slightly back where you can move the slide forward with no spring pressure to fight. For instance, the Kimber Ultra specific, KU-212.ma positions the take down notch in exactly the correct spot. The MT-2012.m on the other hand, is exactly right for the EMP, for the Kimber it just requires moving the slide a sixteenth of an inch forward to align the take down notch with the slide stop - and you're not fighting the recoil spring. That's the one I ordered.

Disassembly and reassembly of my Ultra CDP II and my EMP are a piece of cake with this tool. It is much easier to use than Kimber's thin wire or Springfield's plastic piece. For $36. shipped to the door, I think it's a bargain. I am especially impressed that by choosing the appropriate tool I have one tool that works equally well on both firearms.

In case you think I'm a tool guy, I removed the full length guide rod from my stainless Springfield Loaded 1911 and replaced it with a GI guide rod and stainless plug so I wouldn't have to fool with an Allen (hex) wrench to field strip it.

For those who don't like the tool, that's your choice. No hard feelings. I really like it.

Cheers,
Pete