Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling Media

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I've been using corn cob media from Lyman with their green additive already in it for years, and only change the media every couple or three years or so, because it looks dirty, but still cleans.

I usually let it run for four hours, but it's probably clean sooner than that.

I'm still using the Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler that I bought used for $15.00 over 25 years ago.

The liquid cleaning, then drying, is more than I'd want to fool with.

I normally go through 500 rounds per month, more if I'm function testing a new or modified gun, and 1500 rounds whenever I attend a weekend training class. I usually do 2-3 classes per year, so that averages out to some 10,000 + rounds loaded and shot per year.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    I have been using stainless steel pins for over 5 years now. Dawn dish soap and lime shine. Primmer pockets and inside of brass is totally clean.

Posts liked by others
    I use the stainless pins and nothing cleans as well as they do. Deprime before cleaning.

Posts liked by others
    Been using stainless steel media for several years now, my vibratory tumbler has been sitting unused all this time. Brass comes out shining like new, inside and out. I first started using ceramic media for black powder rounds, but they had the tendency to wedge in the cases and stick, the SS media just slides rite out and gets the primer pockets as well. Also keeps crud from the primer pockets out of my progressive's priming system as well.

Posts liked by others
    Stages of cleaning 10mm brass.jpg

Picture from above - not from Photobucket !
    Likes (1) :
    will52100 (20th August 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I used to load .38 SPL without cleaning anything on a Lee loader. It seemed to work. When I started loading .45 Auto, I acquired a Lyman tumbler and some walnut shell media. It does clean them up, but they don't look "like new." I figured having cases cleaned up was a plus, but having reloaded dirty cases without having problems, I have never felt a need for "like new." I usually run them for two hours, which gets most of the crud off and out, and lets me evaluate the condition of the brass, which is the reason for cleaning the brass in the first place.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Obviously, many millions of cases have been reloaded without any cleaning at all, so it isn't absolutely necessary. There are a few benefits such as being able to examine a case more thoroughly, running thru the reloading process more easily and looking better loaded.

But it's like washing your car, probably won't go faster or last longer, but there sure are a lot of car washes in the country.
    Likes (1) :
    will52100 (20th August 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Walnut and a small amount of rouge.

I have wax loaded rouge sticks.

Grate a small amount into the walnut and it makes very shiny cases.

Posts liked by others
    One advantage to SS wet tumbling is punching the primers out before tumbling, this aids in running through a progressive press. I run a Lee Loadmaster and have very little trouble with the priming system. Used to use a Lee Pro-1000 and had some issues till I started hand depriming and wet tumbling. Seems the priming system doesn't like crud.

Posts liked by others
    I recently saw one in a forum. I use corn cob or walnut. Walnut seems to be a little faster. And use the Flitz tumbling polish. Add a pack of Walmart steel BB's. That seemed to really speed up cleaning. When you want to change out the media just use a magnet to take out the BB's. It isn't as good as the pin method I see in cleaning the inside of the case and the primer pockets but shines up the outside good. I can't get too much involved in tumbling since I am doing it in my daughter's garage.
    Ron

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast