Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling Media

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Man, you guys make me feel primative!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MikieG View Post
    Man, you guys make me feel primative!
    I use 70/20/10 mix of walnut hull, corn cob and rice, along with a few wood chips. There, feel better?
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 20th October 2016 at 07:50.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rutro View Post
    I run a home made tumbler, uses a 5 lb. round plastic coffee container. Corn cob media, Flitz brass cleaner to charge the media. Then add a couple of teaspoons of mineral spirits when the media seems dry. Not quite as good as stainless pins, but bright and shiny.
    Not good.

Flitz contains ammonia, and ammonia should never be used on brass cases. It makes the brass brittle.

http://www.flitz.com/content/SDS%20-...Paste_16pt.pdf
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    NO, no not the Flitz paste. This is tumbler/media additive NO ammonia. An Eco-safe green type product. Cuts cleaning time in half. It used to take me right at two hours to do a hundred cases. I saw this Flitz at the gun shop a while back and the claim about cutting tumbling time, what the heck I needed some media additive but they did not carry the kind I used to use. This stuff ain't cheap. But it only takes 1 oz. to charge a pound of media, a cap full to rejuvenate. That's when I use the mineral spirits instead. That first ounce of this stuff has cleaned I don't know how many hundreds of cases. Oh yeah it only takes an hour now.
    "Sometimes the wolfs are quite and the moon howls"

Posts liked by others
    So it makes the media last a long time as well. What exactly does the mineral spirits do and how do you add it?

Posts liked by others
    Hey MikieG, the mineral spirits is something I learned from a web site I shop. It's River Valley Ordnance and they are a commercial processor of brass and projectiles. They have a professional tips page. Here's a link, http://www.rvow.com/server/index.php/professional-tips , I already had tumbler additive in my media when I ran across this. It was getting where it was not cleaning well so I added the mineral spirits to it, a couple of tablespoons, ran the tumbler until it mixed well then added the brass. It cleaned it up almost like new. They talk about using it in corn cob media without any other additives. Say it cuts cleaning time by 20%. I have not tried that yet. I think you may be on to something about cleaning the corn cob. I'll try that also next time I need to freshen up a batch.

Posts liked by others
    I am still surviving on a few sprinkles of Jeweler's Rouge in the corncob.

I replace a fraction of the corncob every month or so (around 1/3) and throw maybe 1 teaspoon of paint thinner in.
    Run till uniform looking.
    A few sprinkles of rouge (old salt shaker).
    Thinks look nice in about 30 minutes. When it drags out check how 'dirty' it looks.

Posts liked by others
    Brickeyee said
    and throw maybe 1 teaspoon of paint thinner in

There we go, most paint thinner is mineral spirits anymore. Where do you get your rouge? All I've ever seen/used was in stick form. Sounds like it works very well.....

Posts liked by others
    Just use a fine 'micro-plane' to break up the stick.

I small kitchen grater on the finest face will also work.
    They only cost a couple bucks at a kitchen store.

Do NOT use the one in the kitchen.

A few stokes does the job usually.

I often do it over a sheet of wax paper then place the powder in an old salt shaker.

Any machine shop supplier should have rouge sticks available.

Posts liked by others
    Doub's stuff is impressive...I might have to look into that.

I have used walnut for most of my reloading life.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast