Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling Media

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Tumbling Media

I have a huge bag of corn cob blasting media. I use it in my tumbler for brass. Problem is that it takes forever to get brass clean and it is never shiney and pretty.
    My old LGS used to put something in the media to make it really work fast and make cases pretty.
    Seems like it was aluminum oxide and some kind of wax. I can't remember. Any one know what it is and where to buy it?
    The cob gets dirty fast. One time I threw some dirty cob out on the driveway. That night it rained. That next morning the cob looked brand new and clean. So I always wondered if I wished the cob in a bowl then stuck it in the oven to dry it, could it be reused?
    What say ye?

Posts liked by others
    Always used walnut hulls my self. Always got good results.
    " I'm your huckelberry".

Posts liked by others
    I use corn cob. I finally figured out that an hour isn't long enough, but two hours does a pretty nice job.

It seems recently more people are shifting to stainless steel pins.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Media is cheap -kind of- at the pet stores. I use walnut, get the dust out, easy enough. Then cut a used dryer sheet in half, dampen both halves with NU FINISH car wax, run for a couple hours gets it [almost] real shinny. But, like Hawkmoon said, the steel pin set up, really gets the shine on. I don`t think I would go to all the trouble of trying to wash media, I like shinny but, not that much.

Posts liked by others
    You know, I do remember something about dryer sheets. Refresh my memory please.

Posts liked by others
    A used dryer sheet cut in half lay it on the media, pour on the brass, let it shake a couple of hours. It will catch some of the dust. Also a good way to apply polish and/or cleaner to the media.

Posts liked by others
    I have the Frankford Arsenal tumbler system that uses the stainless steel pins and water. I put dish washing liquid and a small amount of white vinegar in the water. No dry media will come close to cleaning brass as well. I punch out the primers and the brass looks new outside and almost new inside. The primer pockets are spotless. As the sizing button is pulled through the neck on a rifle case, the resistance is almost nothing as the inside of the neck is completely clean. No dust and the SS pins last forever. The dirtiest cases clean up to look like new.

Last edited by doubs43; 19th October 2016 at 10:17.

Posts liked by others
    How much $ for this?

Posts liked by others
    Graf & Son has the tumbler with SS media on sale at the moment for $160. Add the magnet - which I strongly recommend - and it's an additional $14. Other than that I have a 5 gallon bucket, a large close weave sieve (from an Oriental food store), dish washing liquid, white vinegar and a couple of baking pans.

Put the de-primed cases in the tub, add the SS pins then the water plus DW liquid and vinegar. Seal and tumble for 3-4 hours. You'll quickly learn how long is best. I then place the strainer in place and drain the soapy water. A couple of flushes will get rid of the suds. Be careful not to lose the pins. Once the water is clear, place the strainer over the bucket and dump the water and pins. Repeat until no more suds or pins come out. Lift out the strainer, drain the water and dump the pins into the bucket where they can dry for later use. Dump the cases into a baking pan and either set them up or dry them in a pile. I put them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 20 minutes and then shut off the oven but allow the cases to stay until I know they're dry. Then they're ready for sizing, priming and loading.

It may sound involved but it's really not. Once you have your "system" down, you'll spend less than 1/2 hour for the whole procedure except for de-priming, tumbling and drying time. Take care of the pins and you'll never buy media again.

Posts liked by others
    I run a home made tumbler, uses a 5 lb. round plastic coffee container. Corn cob media, Flitz brass cleaner to charge the media. Then add a couple of teaspoons of mineral spirits when the media seems dry. Not quite as good as stainless pins, but bright and shiny.
    "Sometimes the wolfs are quite and the moon howls"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast