Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Springfield abandoned the internal locking system?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Since I never used it, I completely forgot about it. Never effected my shooting.
    It hasn't been enough of a concern for me to replace it yet. Three of my SA pistols have it, my Pro doesn't.

Posts liked by others
    Never used it myself DanR and I also forgot about it being there when I take it to the range.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    And ... if they have dropped the ILS, are they still using a 28-pound mainspring, or have they switched to an industry-standard 23-pound spring?
    Is there a downsize to the spring? Does it malfunction with ammo that is not hot enough?

Posts liked by others
    I think the aim was to get the spring to work reliably with the lightweight titanium firing pin SA uses. However, I believe other makers also use titanium firing pins with a 23lb mainspring.

The theory is that a too light mainspring, combined with the light firing pin, won't strike primers with enough 'gusto' to ignite some of the harder ones. Having said that, race-gun wielding 1911 and doublestack STI aficionados run 17lb mainsprings AND have titanium-everything, to keep lock-time to a minimum (...). No doubt they choose their primers carefully, so make of that what you will...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    Wonder if they still have that nasty 28 lb. mainspring? Changing that made a much bigger difference in my Loaded's trigger weight than I would have thought.
    I would sure think if they dropped the ILS they also reduced the weight of the main spring. I sure did when I removed mine.

Posts liked by others
    So what should I do with my Mil Spec? Based on what I have read here, I think I should do nothing. Changing things is the most common thing to cause failure to fire. I carry IWB with 230 gr hardball. And I don't compete, that is not why I bought it. I didn't want the firing pin block, even though many have it without issues. I wanted the three dot sights like the G19 that is issued.

It has never failed to fire. I have only put about 500 rounds through it. After the M16A2 and M60 20 years ago, that doesn't seem like anything.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    So what should I do with my Mil Spec? Based on what I have read here, I think I should do nothing. Changing things is the most common thing to cause failure to fire. I carry IWB with 230 gr hardball. And I don't compete, that is not why I bought it. I didn't want the firing pin block, even though many have it without issues. I wanted the three dot sights like the G19 that is issued.

It has never failed to fire. I have only put about 500 rounds through it. After the M16A2 and M60 20 years ago, that doesn't seem like anything.
    It sounds like you have what you want and it's working fine so I wouldn't do anything. The only reason I removed mine is due to a mental condition I have called anal, and yes it caused light strikes. SA suggested I increase the strength of the main spring, but I knew it would effect my trigger pull so I replaced the ti firing pin with an Ed Brown all stainless steel and all is good. Don't be anal like me. It cost extra money that's not necessary.
    Likes (1) :
    slohunter (16th April 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I think the aim was to get the spring to work reliably with the lightweight titanium firing pin SA uses. However, I believe other makers also use titanium firing pins with a 23lb mainspring.
    You guys are the best. I was just watching Hickok45 because I was thinking of a stainless model. My SA is great, no complaints. But I was looking at other models (as all married men do). And he showed it didn't have the firing pin block. This video is old, but I hadn't watched it. So I went to the site and saw this.

The Ruger SR1911 pistol features a titanium firing pin and heavy firing pin spring, which negates the need for a firing pin block, offering an updated safety feature to the original "Series 70" design without compromising trigger pull weight. An extended thumb safety offers improved manipulation and an oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability. A visual inspection port offers visual confirmation of a round in the chamber.
    Sure, that is Ruger. I just wanted to show the knowledge here.

Posts liked by others
    If there is further discussion of the Springfield Armory internal locking system, we'll leave this thread open to continue that discussion. If there is no more discussion of the Springfield Armory internal locking system, we can close this thread.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Will any standard 1911 arched mainspring housing do in place of the ILS?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast