Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Squeeze a magazine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Squeeze a magazine

Inherited 3 mags for my 1911's from a buddy. They're marked with some sort of military type stuff on the bottom but don't know or care if they're really military. It's not a big deal as I only use them for plinking, but they don't drop out freely once you hit the mag release. Other than that they work fine.

Seems somewhere I'd read something about squeezing them slightly in a vise but can't find that thread. It occurs to me that could give one some potential problems with the follower but that's a guess.

Anybody have some links to something that maybe describes doing such a thing and the pitfalls involved?

Thanks.
    Mike W1
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition

Posts liked by others
    Slide your calipers up and down the magazine to see where the wide spot is (are.) Squeeze in a smooth jawed vise or even with Vise Grip pliers until it runs smoothly. I have only had one magazine I could not true up and get to drop free.

Posts liked by others
    You might want to post some pictures. Some supposedly 'GI' mags are actually $3 affairs from China, complete with faked contract numbers at the bottom of the floor plate. Sometimes they work OK, but they're not really worth working on. You can usually spot them by the witness holes (too big, not in the right places) and welding marks in the front side of the tube body.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    You might want to post some pictures. Some supposedly 'GI' mags are actually $3 affairs from China, complete with faked contract numbers at the bottom of the floor plate. Sometimes they work OK, but they're not really worth working on. You can usually spot them by the witness holes (too big, not in the right places) and welding marks in the front side of the tube body.
    I'd be surprised if they were genuine GI mags as George was a ebay shopper. I'm not all that handy measuring but a quick check of a McCormick mag was about .542" and the caliper slid the length easily. One of these read .553" doing the same thing. I don't photograph things well either but here's a couple pix of one of them.

Mike W1
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    I'd be surprised if they were genuine GI mags as George was a ebay shopper. I'm not all that handy measuring but a quick check of a McCormick mag was about .542" and the caliper slid the length easily. One of these read .553" doing the same thing. I don't photograph things well either but here's a couple pix of one of them.
    According to the Nicklaus reproduction of the Ordnance blueprints, the magazine body is supposed to be .541" +.008" or -.006". So max allowable was .549". The clear width of the mag well in the receiver was .551" +.010". So your magazine does appear to be slightly out of spec.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside