Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1932 Colt National Match pre war

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1932 Colt National Match pre war

First, thanks in advance for taking the time to check out my thread and provide much appreciated knowledge and information regarding my NM. So I recently picked this NM up at a local gun shop and really got lucky I even had the chance to give it a look and eventually purchasing it for a steal I hope. This is what I know. 1932 early early production of the National Match. The frame and slide do have matching numbers but the barrel has been changed it seems to a non colt wwII period barrel. The finish looks to be nickel but this is where I would like some opinions. The NM wasn't offered in this finish in catalog until 1935 but it could be a special order? A gentleman looked at it whom knows firearms and said the finish looked to be refinished maybe 50s or 60s but seemed to think it was from a nickel originally. This opinion was at a glance and without any breakdown or close inspection. The Condition...well I'd like to personally drop kick whomever touched the gun or even looked at it the wrong way after the original owner. Someone looks as if they maybe tried to take it apart wrong..I really don't know the history and have no way of finding out beyond the place I purchased it from. I thought maybe it could have been early enough to be a special order or something. Please feel free to offer some much appreciated opinions on this 1932 early NM in general and Information on shipment if possible. I just bought it and hope to return it to former glory.

Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    A $100 factory letter should specify the original finish. Renickel or nickel strip and blue as indicated.

A NM barrel is going to be a good trick at this late date.
    FLG had one come in with original barrel rusted, probably from corrosive surplus without wet cleaning, and a replacement barrel ruined by amateur "fitting." He put in a Kart to get it back operational without a massive search for a Colt.

Checkered walnut grips to replace the cracked Jay Scott plastic pearl will help a lot.

Posts liked by others
    Not likely special order factory nickel with blue small parts but possible, I suppose. I've watched NM barrels that vintage bring $800 at auction. I agree with Jim about the factory letter and the grips.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Doran and Jim,

I think your probably right. I was hoping to get a definitive yes or no as far as the finish goes before I get the letter. I know it's a reach but I wanted to put money into the re-finish before purchasing the letter. But the barrel will probably be last considering the cost and the rarity of a Match pre war Era barrel. I've been researching places in my area to do the finish but i'm probably going to have to send it in to get that early colt finish to someone reputable and with experience on the early NM blue finish and work in general. I'm going to put in for the letter. I wonder what's it's worth and how much I'll end up spending to get it looking good without a match barrel and going with another or just redoing mine if possible. I see the dollars just adding up....colt letter non expedited here I come. I need a sneaky Colt Archives Ninja to get it for me.