Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1st Les Baer Custom Carry

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Icon17 1st Les Baer Custom Carry

Hi Everyone. I am very new to this site and have a question regarding my Les Baer Custom Carry. This is the 1st nice custom handgun that i have owned and have been reading up on it through various forums and am concerned or confused I guess about what ammo to run through it. I am very anal when it comes to my rifles and or handguns especially this new Baer. I try to keep them in the best condition possible. So with that being said what would be the best ammo to run through it? Is it good to run JHP's through it or not? Also I am somewhat stiffled by everyone saying that you need to break it in by running 5-6 hundred rounds through it or even 1000 rounds before it is broken in or before it performs like it should. I never knew that a 45acp had to broken in. I have owned Sig and colt 1911's and have never thought that they should have been broken in before they would perform like they should. if there is anyone out there that can let me know about these thoughts I would be very grateful and thank you.

Posts liked by others
    Pistols in general run at much lower pressures than rifles, and the .45 Auto runs even lower than most service pistol calibers... so don't worry about damaging your gun with the wrong ammo. That said, I'd avoid the +P stuff.

As for break-in, that's specific to Les Baers, so I'll leave the commentary to actual Baer owners.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the input I do appreciate it much. I have purchased some Speer Gold Dot 230gr.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on a great gun. Easily my favorite Baer, mine is about 16 years old now, never misses a beat.

Ammo. I shoot 230gn ball, lead reloads and most anything else I can find. Digests all, never had it falter on any bullet style. Load pressures, as indicated in a prior post I wouldn't worry what you feed it but will disagree on +P, just don't make a steady diet of it, there's no reason to. Watch recoil springs, I think factory is 18# or at least that's what I run. I also run Wilson Shok-Buffs and have never had a problem, but then I change them regularly. Many will disagree with this item.

Again congrats on a great selection. Now just shoot it, then shoot it some more.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    Most anything should work just fine in your LB. I usually run 230 Federal through mine and then go to whatever I intend to keep in it. Congrats on the LB and welcome to the forum.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    I have a relatively new Concept VI -- the "fancy" poor quality copier break-in instructions that came with said "Do not remove the lubricant that is evident on the pistol." and "Normal break-in period for custom pistols is approximately 200 - 300 rounds" My gun is very tight (as are all Baers) and had numerous malfunctions in the first 200 rounds. I just kept adding more CLP and kept shooting -- I think Les Baer recommends Federal AE hardball for break-in. By about round 200 the gun began to run flawlessly with both AE and WWB and has continued to do so. After 400 rounds I field stripped the gun and cleaned it on re-assembly I was liberal with the CLP and will just keep shooting it. I don't reload and like to shoot often so I shop for sale ammo and will just run whatever I have through my Baer until I find something that gives it problems.

Posts liked by others
    I am glad it straightened itself out.
    But you should add the cost of that 200 rounds to the price of the gun because that is what it took to get you a working pistol. I would add the cost of the next 200 rounds as a proof test before depending on the gun for anything.