Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22TCP/9mm Combo sensible choice?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

22TCP/9mm Combo sensible choice?

I am presently interested in purchasing only a 1911 Commander-size in 9mm. There are few of these choices out there in the first place, but in looking at the RIA offerings, the only one that fits this criteria is the Combo 22TCP/9mm model. I am willing to purchase this gun to obtain the 4.25 barrel in 9mm, but wonder if 1) That is fundamentally sound, and 2) Is the gun, itself worth considering (quality/pricing/service, etc.). Is it "overkill" to purchase this gun mainly for the 9mm?

Any opinion re: this issue, or the gun itself? Thanks in advance.

Posts liked by others
    A good Friend has the full size RIA 9 MM/22 TCM double stack pistol. He really likes the 22 TCM and rarely uses the 9 MM. The 22 TCM relies on velocity to be effective so I have mixed opinion on the 4 1/4" barrel 22 TCM pistol. Out of the 5" RIA the 40 grain bullet chronographs around 2050 FPS. I suspect the 4 1/4" barrel will produce velocities at 2000 FPS or less. The 22 TCM has the same on target effectives of a 223 rifle with 40 grain bullet at roughly 250 yards or similar to a 22 Hornet.

I have been around several RIA 1911's and I think they are worth their price plus RIA CS get good reviews. I think if your primarily interested in the 9 MM Commander size pistol you might look at the Citadel, Metro Arms or other Phillipine manufactured 1911's. I've read where other pistols by different names are made by either of the two Phillipine manufacturers RIA and Metro Arms.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 4th July 2016 at 13:30.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by VASCAR2 View Post
    I've read where other pistols by different names are made by either of the two Phillipine manufacturers RIA and Metro Arms.
    Three ... you forgot Shooters Arms manufacturing (S.A.M.) S.A.M. is a much older company than Metro Arms, and has been making 1911s almost as long as Armscor.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    They seem to like 1911's there.
    John from 1849 Sutter's Fort. Retired to Texas.
    Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
    "Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts liked by others
    I got mine about 6 months ago, I love it. And the service is great, if you have a problem, RIA will send you a return label at no cost. Takes about a month or so to
    get the weapon back.

Posts liked by others
    I have a MS 9mm RIA 1911. It came with G10 "alien" grips, 4.25 barrel, front grip stripping and a fiber optic front sight.
    I have not had any issues with it. Got it last year and shoot it a lot, very accurate, more so than me...
    Purchase price was around $500 at the time. They usually are not easily come by. The 22 TCM/9mm combos are more common.
    That one is on my wishlist.

Posts liked by others
    Diocles. I also have a 9MM RIA, I gave it to my Grandson, and he cannot wear it out, he is on the on job and has to shoot quals with it all the time.
    BTW, Bud's Gin shop has 22 TCM/9MM combos all the time.

Posts liked by others
    I have had the 22 tcm for sometime. I am shooting a cast bullet in mine that is gas checked and Hi-tek treated and sized to 224. I is a noe 39 grain bullet. It is a hoot to shoot for sure.

Posts liked by others
    Gun Stories did an episode about Rock Island Armory that was more or less an infomercial on the 22 tcm. It looks like it is fun to shoot. It has a bit of muzzle flash. The only thing that I'm not to crazy about is the fact that I've only seen ammo from Armscor. I wish the round was more widely adopted.

Posts liked by others
    I believe Armscor sells dies and brass for reloading. (Or has arranged with someone to sell dies.)
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast