Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Assistance in identifying markings on early Colt 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Assistance in identifying markings on early Colt 1911

I recently purchased an older Colt 1911 from a coworker who had it sitting around for some time. A serial number (C126xxx) check indicates that the frame was made in 1920 as a commercial model. It states government model above the serial number. The pistol appears to have a blued finish and a long trigger. There are several markings on the pistol which I am failing to identify... The first of which is on the inner frame near the hammer. The marking appears to be either 2 S's overlapping or an S overlapping a G. The second mark i cannot identify is on the inner slide near the firing pin; this marking is Y2. I have located several of the other markings on the pistol and identified them via another site. I am including all images of the 1911 in hopes that someone will be able to identify the markings and advise what they mean for this particular Colt, and more importantly advise if these parts are native to a Colt produced in 1920. Any assistance is appreciated.

20160603_232422(2).jpg20160604_183031.jpg20160604_185802.jpg20160604_190028.jpg20160604_190129.jpg

Posts liked by others
    This belongs in the Collectors Corner. The "Colt" discussion area is for pistols made after 1970.

I'll just move it ...
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 5th June 2016 at 19:49.

Posts liked by others
    An "S" on the frame flat signifies commercial Sales where a G indicates Government contract.
    A double struck "S" would not be exceptional, but a "S" over a "G" might indicate a WWI frame left over and put into post war commercial production.
    W on the trigger guard is the Colt final inspector's mark. VP below it is the Colt proof mark.
    Y 2 are probably also factory inspectors' stamps, marks made by men long dead for records long lost.

G on the bottom of the barrel is from 1937 - 1943 military production. Perhaps a surplus replacement barrel that might have gone in when the gun was reblued and given its homemade grips.

Posts liked by others
    I appreciate the knowledge and information, Jim! The pistol has a great deal more history than I thought it seems.

Posts liked by others
    The pistol has been polished and reblued at some point, also the grips not original issue.

Posts liked by others
    When was 'CALIBRE' changed to 'CALIBER' in early pistols' slides? I thought it was done earlier than 1920.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    1949 as I recall.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    1949 as I recall.
    Ah... thanks for straightening me out.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter