Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Ati-sam 1911gi

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Ati-sam 1911gi

Had been thinking of buying a Commander size 1911 for awhile. So, when I ran across this NIB ATI 1911 made by Shooters Arms Manufacturing company (SAM) at the Macon, GA, gun show I negotiated a deal; OTD for $390. The S.A.M. manufacturing plant is in a Northern suburb of Cebu City on Cebu Island in the Southern Philippines. I was stationed there - actually Mactan Island, a 20 minute ferry boat ride from Cebu City - in 1967.

The first thing I did was replace the grips which I found to be too thick for my taste. The bordered double diamond grips are much nicer. Out of the box, the trigger is crisp and breaks like glass. I estimate it's about 4 1/2 - 5 pounds. Lock-up is very tight and all controls have just the right amount of tension. Fit of the slide to frame is excellent. Finish is a fairly standard gray phosphate. Not as nice as the Tisas finishes but nice enough.

On the range I had to drift the rear sight slightly left... no big deal. The sights are better than most GI models I've shot. Accuracy is like any other 1911 which is to say pretty darn good. So far, I've put 135 rounds down range with one unusual failure to eject; the case rim got stuck in the square opening at the back of the ejection port. Not your typical stove pipe and easily cleared. That was at round number 64 and the case is one that has been reloaded 10 times or more.

IMO, this is a fantastic value that doesn't break the bank and the quality is impressive inside and out.

Likes (2) :
    Ric4509 (12th June 2016), t-bird (14th June 2016)

Last edited by doubs43; 1st June 2016 at 10:08.

Posts liked by others
    I agree that it's a great value. I had one about 4 or 5 years ago and sold it.....really wish I hadn't.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.
    Likes (1) :
    doubs43 (2nd June 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Love mine. Nothing but FTF with the ACT mag it came with. But I had an old GI and now some Colt mags and it works great.
    Likes (1) :
    doubs43 (5th June 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Okaraider View Post
    Love mine. Nothing but FTF with the ACT mag it came with. But I had an old GI and now some Colt mags and it works great.
    The MecGar mag that came with mine has not seen the first cartridge by me. I immediately put it in a drawer where it'll remain. I use only surplus GI mags. They work great in all of my 1911 pistols.

I've now put 165 rounds through my SAM and still only the single problem at round 64. That's 101 rounds since that have been perfect.

Posts liked by others
    I had one with a Novak style rear sight. I had the front sight replaced with a red fiber optic. Great gun for the price. Very tight slide to frame fit. I shot around 500 rds of 230 FMJ through it. Never jammed. I should not have sold it 3 yrs ago.
    Likes (1) :
    doubs43 (12th June 2016)

Posts liked by others
    That's a nice one. Like your grips too. Especially like the tall sights. Never had a problem with any of my Mec-Gars or ACT magazines (.45acp).

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter View Post
    That's a nice one. Like your grips too. Especially like the tall sights. Never had a problem with any of my Mec-Gars or ACT magazines (.45acp).
    Thank you. The sights are very nice... better than the smaller sights on some GI models although I get along well with both. It isn't that the MecGar mags don't work; it's that I prefer GI flat base mags. I have plenty of MecGar mags for other handguns that I own and they all function great.