Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Not Fully Prepared To Go To The Dark Side, But, ...

Posts liked by others

Not Fully Prepared To Go To The Dark Side, But, ...

the temptation is so great.

I'm not selling, nor am I tempted to get rid of my 1911's. I have opened my horizons to some of the other styles of semiautomatic pistols out there in the world. I own several S&W M&P's, a CZ 75 Tactical Sports, and three Hi Powers. They're all fine pistols, run 100% reliably, and I do trust them for concealed carry.

Last week I had the opportunity to shoot several striker-fired pistols side-by-side; a Ruger American, a Glock 19, H&K VP-9, and the Springfield XDM. They all performed just like I expected; triggers a bit long in the pull, and higher bore axes. They all shot to point of aim, and they performed perfectly, no failures.

Yesterday, I opted for the H&K VP-9. What a pistol! I ran 100 rounds through it, and all were perfect. It won out because of the ergonomics and the out-of-the-box trigger. I really like the variety of the replaceable grip straps and side panels. There are, for me, two weaknesses:
    • First, I'm still not a fan of finger groove frames. However, this frame is as close to fitting my fingers than anything else. It does seem a bit more natural than the Glock.
    • Second, the magazine release will take some adapting by me. It seems "unnatural" not to have a push-button release. However, my index finger falls very close to the lever when it's time for a magazine change.

The accuracy was great. I managed to keep a 3" group @ 15 yards resting my wrists on sandbags.

It is a bit more expensive than the others, but it has beautiful fit and finish. It's very well balanced, and the sights are very easy to align. A lot of value in this pistol.

I previous owned H&K USP's in both .40 S&W and .45 Auto. Both felt like a 2x4. This is a very different pistol from the USP's.

The American republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts liked by others
    I recently did some testing of my own using NRA B-8 bullseyes. The VP9 is definitely a 10-ring shooter. I also tried a Walther PPQ and it was 10X, the group was the size of a quarter!

The VP9 has an awesome trigger. If you like it you should try a Walther PPQ, it has a trigger that is almost 1911-like. And like the VP9, the ergonomics are superb.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Congrats. I've never held a HK pistol that didn't feel like a quality-made piece of kit. But their high bore axis turned me off, especially in .45 Auto. Glocks are much closer to the 1911 that regard, but with a different grip angle.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations to the OP on his VP-9, I've read a lot of positive feedback on this model and the Walther. Is the H&K barrel lead friendly?
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the dark side! You will discover these were made with American/combat shooters in mind: the more you shoot your 1911, the more the vp9 feels natural. And, after handling the best available (HK pistols) you'll also discover nothing tops the 1911 (but H&K is often best in adverse/dirty/I forgot to pm/I just fell in the mud situations). Congrats!

As far as I know, HK has never said "dont use lead" in anything, they mind their freebore clearances and end-use rifling specs as they are actual firearm engineers rather than a guy that just sells tupperware.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911A2 View Post
    As far as I know, HK has never said "dont use lead" in anything, they mind their freebore clearances and end-use rifling specs as they are actual firearm engineers rather than a guy that just sells tupperware.
    Here's part of page 14 of this gun's user manual (as seen here). I underlined the relevant item in blue:

Firearm engineers they may be, but if the guns have polygonally rifled barrels (which I believe they do), using unjacketed/unplated lead bullets in them could be trouble.

Dismiss their warning as mere 'lawyerese' at your own risk.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 20th March 2017 at 04:26.

Posts liked by others
    Spyros that's agreeable. Many have run lead in poly bores but it's not for me. (I wonder which semi auto mfrs ever said lead was ok).
    Likes (1) :
    Spyros (24th March 2017)

Last edited by 1911A2; 24th March 2017 at 05:08.

Posts liked by others
    The Steyr M40-A1 will run very favorable with any polymer with regards to accuracy, trigger and ergonomics, plus its frame matches up with the Glock 20. It's what the Glock should have morphed to, plus it shoots lead very well.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    "It's what the Glock should have morphed to, plus it shoots lead very well." Indeed, this was one that was designed with reloading and lead in mind.