Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Can This Be True, the .45 ACP Is Back in DoD?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Can This Be True, the .45 ACP Is Back in DoD?

I just received this as email, which seems to be pasted from a news release.

"Weapons of the World: Current 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005

U.S. Brings Back the .45

January 27, 2006: After two decades of use, the U.S. Department of Defense is getting rid of its Beretta M9 9mm pistol, and going back to the 11.4mm (.45 caliber) weapon. There have been constant complaints about the lesser (compared to the .45) hitting power of the 9mm. And in the last few years, SOCOM (Special Operations Command) and the marines have officially adopted .45 caliber pistols as ?official alternatives? to the M9 Beretta. But now SOCOM has been given the task of finding a design that will be suitable as the JCP (Joint Combat Pistol). Various designs are being evaluated, but all must be .45 caliber and have a eight round magazine (at least), and high capacity mags holding up to 15. The new .45 will also have a rail up top for attachments, and be able to take a silencer. Length must be no more than 9.65 inches, and width no more than 1.53 inches.

*The M1911 .45 caliber pistol that the 9mm Beretta replaced in 1985, was, as its nomenclature implied, an old design. There are several modern designs out there for .45 caliber pistols that are lighter, carry more ammo and are easier to maintain than the pre-World War I M1911 (which is actually about a century old, as a design). The Department of Defense plans to buy 645,000 JCPs.*

*SOCOM will, with input from other branches, handle the evaluation and final selection. This will take place this year, and if the military moves with unaccustomed alacrity, troops could start getting their JCPs next year. But don?t hold your breath.

END OF MESSAGE"

Somebody say it's so. I can't wait to get back to the office on Monday to spike this rumor. I believe I'll stock up on champagne or something. if true, I'll still be celebrating right through the Super Bowl and not even notice.

(Sorry, John, if I stuck started this thread in the wrong place. I looked quickly for the most appropriate spot because I was so excited. As magnificent as this forum is, it should have fireworks and other sound effects. Did I mention I'm excited? If I've been played as a sucker, let me down gently. Then, I'll hop on a plane and have a close encounter of the worst kind with the source of this news.)

Posts liked by others
    It is so - there is a call out for a new .45 for the DoD - The specs can be found on the web - the thing it they are looking for a DA/SA with a decocker if I recall properly. I read the spec - not terrible - but at least they are heading back to a better round!
    Jim
    US Navy - 21 years and running.........
    SA Micro Compact - Loaded
    RIA 5" 1911 (modified to be a tack-driver)
    GSG 1911 22

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    There is another thread where this issue has been discussed at length. I think the title is "Army going back to 45", do a search for it.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    There are 2 posts on this 1 is the Joint bid for 45 and the other is army moving back to 45. However these have gotten a little off topic.
    "NGFL"

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, guys. I heard about the rumors last year but didn't bother to check them out. More embarrassing is that there were the threads that were available to me if I had bothered to check before I posted a new thread. You let me down gently and I am grateful. So...my two new year's resolutions: (1) Read the whole forum or search for similar topics before I start a new thread. (2) Never, but never post anything on a Friday evening after a long work week and a 50-mile commute in Friday evening traffic. It will be awhile before I forgive myself for this gaffe. I should have reacted more calmly to this "news" and thought in through, which is what I'm supposed to do in my professional life. I have yet to read the RFP, but I will. I had a wild thought about what the concealed carry DoD would authorize for issue that would replace our P228 and P229 if DoD replaces the 9mm with .45 ACP. No, I am not turning this into another thread. And I won't start speculation about it. Sooner or later as the RFP or subsequent trials get legs, I'll see something posted or read a news release. I just may entertain myself and give a couple of buds who work in the Five-Cornered Zoo to find out the latest rumor. So, Jim, John, and Moose, thanks!