Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye match loads??

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Bullseye match loads??

I'm shopping a new 1911. I will be reloading for it for match accuracy. Please share some of your most accurate handloading recipes.

Posts liked by others
    I do not shoot Bullseye so cannot help you there but do know that different guns like different things. You might want to get a Ransom rest and a chronograph, then spend some time at the range experimenting. As you are probably aware different primers, powers, bullets and cases all make a difference. Good luck with your new adventure.

Posts liked by others
    LSWC 200 grs VIHTAVUORI N310 3.7

Shoot safe.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Zero swaged 200gn L-SWC or Precision Bullet swaged and coated 200gn L-SWC.
    If you cast your own, RCBS 452-201-SWC or H&G #68 mold.
    3.2-3.8gn Bullseye or 4.4-5.1gn 231/HP38 (4.7-5.0gn my preference), 4.1-4.6gn Red Dot, or 3.2-3.6gn AA2.
    N310 and other powders just haven't been as accurate.
    Load so shoulder of bullet just contacts the lede/rifling and case head is flush with barrel hood.
    Any standard case, any standard primer.
    Recommend: seating stem that ONLY touches the bullet's shoulder--not the meplat or ogive.
    NRA Life Member
    Last edited by noylj; 16th February 2016 at 22:29.

Posts liked by others
    I'm reluctant to post powders and charges but a shooter just can't go wrong in choosing Bullseye along with 200 LSWC Dardas bullets.

https://www.dardascastbullets.com/

Posts liked by others
    With a 200gr cast H&G 68 or a swaged 200 SWC the following powders / charge weights will give you a usable load . Best for your gun will only be found by careful testing .
    3.8 - 4.2grs Bullseye
    3.6 - 4.0grs VVN-310
    4.6 - 5.0grs W231
    4.0 - 4.4grs WST
    4.0 - 4.3grs Titegroup
    3.8 - 4.0grs Clays
    4.0 - 4.2grs Solo 1000
    4.0 - 4.2grs Accurate # 2
    3.6 - 4.0grs Nitro 100
    3.8 - 4.1grs 700X
    Cast will generally shoot better at the mid to upper end of these & swaged will shoot better at the lower end . As stated above the Zero or Magnus swaged bullets are very accurate due to their perfect bases & weight uniformity . Cast carefully inspect bases for any defects & use those for 25yds or practice only . Hope this helps . Personally I use the Zero swaged 200 SWC with either 3.6 VVN-310 or 3.8 Bullseye . Cast H&G 68 200 SWC 4.2grs Bullseye for 50 yds & 3.5grs Bullseye @ 25 yds .
    Likes (2) :
    Joni Lynn (2nd February 2017), Scarpetta (20th October 2016)

Posts liked by others
    is your Nitro 100 load for the old or new powder

Posts liked by others
    The USMC team load is the 185 gr Nosler JHP + 4.1 gr N310.

A lot of target shooters who don't want the trouble of casting bullets or sorting bulk lead bullets are using the similar 185 gr Zero JHP.

Posts liked by others
    Those who like semi-wadcutters but who don't cast (and don't wish to start) can get either hard-cast or plated semi-wadcutters from Berry's Manufacturing.

In plated (for .45 ACP) they offer a 200-grain semi-wadcutter. I've used that one, and I like it (but I don't compete in bullseye, so I can't attest to competition-grade accuracy/precision).

In hard-cast they again offer a 200-grain semi-wadcutter. I haven't tried that one, but it appears to be about the same profile as some commercial reloaded LSWC ammo I bought a few years ago.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Zero 185gr JHP
    4.2 N310
    Win (mostly), Rem, or Fed LP primers
    .469 taper crimp
    ~1.21 OAL
    Mixed brass

This is out of my Les Baer Premier II. I spent a ton of time trying different bullets (lead and jacketed) and charge weights, also tried Bullseye and W231 powders and have settled on this load. You'll drive yourself crazy too trying to find the best load for your particular gun because you never know until you try. This load/gun combo will hold the X-ring of a B27 at 50 yards from a stable position (I don't own or know of anyone with a Ransom Rest). The fun is in the trying!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast