Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO WW2 PKZE Usage

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

AO WW2 PKZE Usage

To date I have about 6,500 rounds thru my Kahr AO .45. I have only replaced the recoil spring, slide stop and recoil spring plug. Anybody here have about the same amount or more rounds thru theirs? If so, how has it held up?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by .45s r best View Post
    To date I have about 6,500 rounds thru my Kahr AO .45. I have only replaced the recoil spring, slide stop and recoil spring plug. Anybody here have about the same amount or more rounds thru theirs? If so, how has it held up?
    I've only put 1,500 through mine, so far, but it's been a champ and looks like new.

Posts liked by others
    Mine has done right by me also. I replace the recoil spring at 2,500 round intervals. From what I read from other AO owners, they have had to replaced the slide stop at approximately 5,000 round intervals. The past few thousand rounds have been reloads and knock on wood, so far so good!

Posts liked by others
    I have to ask, why does the slide stop need replacing?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    John (27th March 2016)

Posts liked by others
    In my case, the slide stop was worn where it engages the barrel link. The other area that showed wear was the portion of the stop that engages the slide allowing it to be locked back. This wear was such that the slide was starting to not lock back after the last shot was fired.

Posts liked by others
    I see, thanks. It sounds like the OEM slidestop wasn't hardened properly. I doubt you'll need to change the second one.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    If it does not, I have a couple more. I figure I will be at the Big Range In The Sky before I go thru them!

Posts liked by others
    I had an opportunity to get "up close and personal" with this model, as I did some work on one recently for my friend, trainer, and mentor, Robin Brown (Brownie).

My recent experience with the current Auto Ordinance 1911 A1 revealed a far different (and much improved) pistol than the one I was first exposed to (a truly horrible purchase and experience) back in the early '80's.

First, I was shocked at the minimal amount of MIM parts I found in the gun. In short; the hammer. If there were more, they were final finished such that I couldn't find any of their normal "sprue like" identifiers.

As most of you know, MIM parts are usually popped out of the mold and used as is; so I really think a decision was made by the manufacturer to use some good quality parts in this pistol.

The quality and fit of the internals was surprising. Barrel fit to bushing and slide, both barrel hood and lugs, was better than many more expensive 1911's I've had on my bench over the years. Lockup of the barrel at both ends is very tight, with no end play, side play or barrel springing at the hood at all.

The two series 80 levers, like most, did benefit from polishing on one side. That said, both the plunger and hole in the slide were polished nicely, and the system was timed very well, with no peening of the firing pin evident.

The extractor, while tension was set too heavy, was otherwise fit very well. There was no clocking, and the bottom edge of the extractor groove behind the claw had been perfectly radiused and was highly polished; more evidence of hand fitting by someone who takes pride in their work.

Both the frame ramp and break over angle (often referred to as the "barrel ramp" by many) were well done, and highly polished.

The back side of the slide stop was a bit rough, as were the edges. These days, that's more often found than not, and a bit of judicious stoning ensured that any futher wear of the frame was at an end.

Stoning the trigger bow tracks in the frame was next, working through 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit stones.

Moving on to the upgrades; the new Harrison Custom sear, disconnector, and hammer fit very well, though a bit of fitting between the new hammer strut, strut pin and hammer were needed to get things sorted out.

As happens more often than not; the installation of the new ignition set required that the original thumb safety be refitted to the new parts.

Next, the new Harrison Custom short trigger had to be fitted, as the trigger pad is left over size, so it can be fitted to the pistol with no top, bottom or sideplay.

After all was complete, an average of eight trigger pulls provided a pull weight five pounds even, with no creep, grit and minimum overtravel. It also provided a very nice reset; so we decided that no adjustments to the sear or disconnector legs of the sear spring were necessary.

The trigger pull of the pistol as received was a somewhat gritty six pounds, eleven ounces, averagd over a half dozen pulls. A Lyman digital trigger pull scale was used in measuring all trigger pulls.

I'll function test the pistol with a variety of 200gr LSWC, 230gr LRN, 230gr ball, 230gr JHP, 230gr JTCHP, and and even some of the old Speer "flying ashtrays." A variety of magazines will be used; including Mecgar, Colt, CheckMate and Wilson 47d eight round mags.

When the pistol makes it through all that with NO malfunctions; I'll return it to our "little old snake oil salesman" at our early April class for his daily carry.

This pistol is a real "sleeper," and I intend to buy one myself in the near future; it really is "that good."
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    picketpin (3rd April 2016)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 25th March 2016 at 22:17.

Posts liked by others
    The "new" AO 1911 A1 experience continues.

I gave the Auto Ordinance 1911 A1 a good workout today, shooting a variety of 200gr LSWC, 230gr LRN, 230gr ball, 230gr JHP, 230gr JTCHP, 230gr hydro-shok, and some of the old Speer 200gr "flying ashtrays."

I used a variety of eight round mags, including Colt, CheckMate, Tripp Cobra, Wilson ETM, and Wilson 47d eight round mags. I also had a Mecgar, but forgot to try it.

Approximately 200 rounds in total were fired, with absolutely NO malfunctions of any sort experienced.

I shot double taps, triple taps, full mag dumps, strong hand only, weak hand only, freestyle, from retention, 1/2 hip, 3/4 hip, the zipper; and the gun just ran and ran.

It shot where I was looking, both with the little sights, and threat focused (no sights, for the "unenlightened"), from six feet to 10 yards.

I didn't shoot it at any longer ranges, as the intended use of the pistol by it's owner is for carry/self defense purposes.

I'm definitely foing to be getting me one of these!

It'll be perfect for a woods, boat, "who cares if it gets dropped in the mud" gun, and everyone needs at least one of those!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    picketpin (3rd April 2016)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 25th March 2016 at 22:23.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the great write up Rick, They are great little guns for sure. I went through pretty much the same tune up as you except I put a Colt NM plunger lever in that had much cleaner bearing surfaces. I cut a relief angle on the sear, and adjusted the extractor, And it runs great. I keep going back an forth on sending the slide to Novak's or keeping it as a GI repro... Or maybe I should order a BKO.. So many decisions..
    This needs a pic.. after a few additions to make it a little more authentic..

james
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (10th April 2016)

Last edited by picketpin; 3rd April 2016 at 10:23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast