Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caring for blued finish

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

caring for blued finish

Hello everyone, I recently got my first blued 1911. It was made in 1925. Pretty sure it has been reblued, but what are some good tips for keeping this finish looking great for a long time. And any tips for things to avoid?

Posts liked by others
    A light coating of any good quality gun oil should protect it. If you don't intend to shoot it often, Renaissance Wax is an excellent way to protect it, long-term. It is used by museums to protect valuable antique firearms. And welcome to the forum.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/541...FRCGaQodfQULMw

Posts liked by others
    I do a fair amount of bluing on pistols (about 4 per year) and found that anything light in weight such as WD40 is completely useless. If the gun is going to be shot and cleaned every other month or so, then a decent gun oil will be adequate. Some of our members may disagree but Smith's honing oil works great also. After the final carding and cleaning of a blued part, I coat with Smith's and allow the part to soak for 24 hours or so...it works for me.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I have been using Birchwood Casey's Barricade. a light mist and a wipe with a clean soft cloth and the gun will stay rust free.

Posts liked by others
    Lately I've grown a bit lazy, so I use a spray CLP more than anything else. Works fine for guns that are used, but it's worth checking up on those that haven't been fired for a long while, six months or more. But I live in a fairly dry climate, so YMMV.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Yeah, I will shoot this gun. But certainly not often

Posts liked by others
    Been using Johnson's Paste Wax on guns for over 50 years. Try it, you'll like it!

Posts liked by others
    I've been using Eezox as a cleaner, lubricant, and protectant on all my firearms for over 25 years now.

I live on the coast in SW Florida, and carry daily; often a blued pistol.

Rust or any type of corrosion has never been a problem.

http://www.eezox.com
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 16th November 2016 at 22:33.

Posts liked by others
    Clean all parts thoroughly in any decent powder solvent type cleaner.
    Wipe dry. Paper towels work well here.

Gently warm the parts at around 150F in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes (except the grips of course).

Soak them in Breakfree CLP till cool.

Wipe off excess.
    Put it back together while wearing nitrile gloves.

Wipe the gloves clean before handling wooden grip panels.

I leave wood panels off for long term storage.

If the panels are going to be left off wipe the exterior down one more time with CLP.

If the grips will be stored on the gun avoid soaking them with oil but wipe down the exterior one more time leaving a light film.

I have not used heavy storage grease since Breakfree CLP came out years ago.

Avoid storage places with wide temperature swings.

The mass of the gun means it stays cool when the temperature rises allowing condensation top occur.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ncviking View Post
    I do a fair amount of bluing on pistols (about 4 per year) and found that anything light in weight such as WD40 is completely useless. If the gun is going to be shot and cleaned every other month or so, then a decent gun oil will be adequate. Some of our members may disagree but Smith's honing oil works great also. After the final carding and cleaning of a blued part, I coat with Smith's and allow the part to soak for 24 hours or so...it works for me.
    WD40 is NOT a light oil. The WD is for Water Displacement. It is fine for spraying in a water soaked distributor to get a car started. It's also fine for cleaning motorcycle chains. It is not a lubricant. It has no place in protecting a firearm.
    Cheers,
    Peter

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Likes (1) :
    Flow45 (14th March 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast