Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying four magazines?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    The " double tap" is way outdated. Since we all know how much inconsistent performance pistol bullets can give, 3-5 rounds should be the minimum.

Sometimes competition rules can really foul up good street tactics.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    I prefer 2 spare magazines.
    Army Veteran NRA Patron Life Member and North American Hunting Club Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I'm a little late, but I just noticed this. My answer is "Yes." In fact, I can't recall any trainer, in person or in a book or in a video, who did NOT teach taking two shots to center of mass, then stopping to assess whether or not the threat had been neutralized. What have you been taught? The alternative to stopping to assess the threat is to shoot to slide lock. What happens if you empty your magazine at an adversary, and as you hit slide lock his buddy pops around the corner and opens fire?

Even the three shot drill is usually taught as a two plus one: two shots to center of mass, assess the threat, then if the threat is still active (body armor?), one shot to the head.
    Shoot until they're down, and no longer a threat; usually the zipper skill (shot seamlessly from the 1/2hip, 3/4hip, and point shoulder positions) I previously noted. If multiple threats; I'll shoot them in tactical sequence, with followups as necessary. I won't be running short on reloads, as my usual carry pistol is loaded 17+1, plus two 17 round reloads.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 13th May 2017 at 22:07.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wichaka View Post
    The " double tap" is way outdated. Since we all know how much inconsistent performance pistol bullets can give, 3-5 rounds should be the minimum.

Sometimes competition rules can really foul up good street tactics.
    No doubt!

I prefer "shoot until they're down, or catch fire."

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Used to carry 2 spares - the way the world is now I carry 4 - of low capacity 8 round 1911 mags - if I carried a G19 I'd carry 2 spares - then again if I carried a G19 in the communist country I live in it would be limited to 10 round mags - so there is no point in considering carrying a G19, capacity being the advantage!
    Likes (1) :
    KaBar53 (27th May 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I carry three extra magazines
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan

Endowment Life Member, National Rifle Association

Posts liked by others
    At this time, I carry an H&K USP .45, with two spare magazines, for a total of 33 ends. I also have two in my fanny pack.
    When I change over to my 1911 Thompson Custom, I will carry 4 spare magazines, as they will fit in my 5.11 tactical pants mag pockets, as well as my 5.11 coverts.
    The reason: I read an article titled: "How many do you need?" It was written by an LEO, who usually carried just one spare, until the night he was on the way home in his pov, and baddies tried to jack him.
    They had no way of knowing this was an officer, and that didn't make any difference, IMHO.
    Even warning the man walking back to him, after being forced to stop in a residential neighborhood, that he's was armed, the guy came up to his door, and was shot by the officer.
    The baddies buddies started firing at him, and he had to escape the vehicle and hide in a houses bushes.
    He now always carries at least 4 spares, because, he stated, you don't know until you need them.
    5 eight-round mags (counting my loaded pistol) is 40 rounds. And not really much heavier than my HK with two spares.
    I'm a retired fire fighter, who learned a long time back, take what you may need.
    As for how many shots, I load mine with a staggered load: two hollow points and a full jacket. If the bad guy hasn't gone down with two, I may need a harder punch.
    Also, one thing I've noticed, two eight-end. 1911 mags hold 16 rnds, and take up about the same amount of space as one thirteen-rnd staggered magazine. And, you can have them edge to edge or side by side.

Posts liked by others
    I have more of an EDC loadout than just a gun. I use the multi-tool, and flashlight
    every day, all the time. I sometimes carry two flashlights, because I run the
    batteries down, in the first. It's hard enough to CC the gun. Where do you conceal
    four extra mags?
    Likes (1) :
    wichaka (22nd November 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    I have more of an EDC loadout than just a gun. I use the multi-tool, and flashlight
    every day, all the time. I sometimes carry two flashlights, because I run the
    batteries down, in the first. It's hard enough to CC the gun. Where do you conceal
    four extra mags?
    I usually carry two extra mags, in built in pockets of my 5.11 pants. In the cargo pants, there are two slim pockets made for pistol magazines, and if I want to carry the other two, there are pouches on the outside of both legs.
    In the 5.11 Covert, there are hidden, zippered, pockets that hold at least one in each--I haven't tried two in each, but they're made to hold a 30 rnd. AR mag in each one.
    Otherwise, I have a cloth double pouch that I slide on my belt.
    I also carry a 3" folding Spyderco in one pocket.
    I lost my flashlight....

Posts liked by others
    My Tru-Spec 24-7 shorts and pants have two "built in" mag pouches inside of each cargo pocket, plus the smaller pockets on the front of the cargo pockets.

I've been using them for over seven years now, and the first pair is still in pretty good shape. They hold up very well.

Rick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast