Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New AO

Posts liked by others
    Nice work.

The magazine shown in the picture is NOT what came with the gun, right?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Nice work.

The magazine shown in the picture is NOT what came with the gun, right?
    Pretty sure it is, I did shoot it with Colt, Kimber, MecGar, and the factory, but took the pic with the factory loaded up. What makes you think it isn't the factory mag?
    james

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by picketpin View Post
    What makes you think it isn't the factory mag?
    The witness holes are wrong. Specifically, the magazine has witness holes for the second round, which is not specified in GI magazines, nor seen in more recent Colt mags (and those of their suppliers).

Normally oddball witness holes indicates 'Chinese gun-show magazine' but this is probably not one of them, since the holes look to be the right size.

Is there anything etched on the magazine's basepad? Can you see a weld seam on the body, either front or rear?
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Believe AO use a version of the MetalForm Magazines.

Posts liked by others
    That's what I believe as well.

I'm really sorry, my question kinda distracted us from the OP's pistol, which IMHO is a great gun. AO have really cemented themselves as the 'go-to' maker if someone wants a good, no-nonsense 1911 that works well AND is as close in appearance to a GI M1911A1 as possible, at a reasonable price.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    All correct, it came with the AO and it appears to me a Metalform. The Mag has an odd rounded "m" made into a sight or something for a logo on the floorplate, and has the rounded follower. I am not familiar with the logo as I have never owned any Metalform Mags before but the rounded follower is similar to the metalform mags I have seen at Brownells. This mag functions in all my 1911's Caspian, Ruger, Daly, and the AO. Just a closing note I have yet to find anything about this 1911 that has not exceeded my expectations. It is a fine little pistol and shoots like my other 1911's that are either complete customs or partial custom jobs. I'm picky and I like this one...
    james
    Last edited by picketpin; 20th October 2015 at 13:38.

Posts liked by others
    Here's a photo of the floor plate:metalformmag.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Yes that's the Metalform logo. The baseplate is drilled and tapped, in case you wish to add a bumper/slam pad.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I decided to add some parts to make it look just a little more authentic, after a few hours on Numrich's site I came up with a few parts that make it look pretty close, I guess I can go either way on the slide stop being checkered or not as both seem correct for the period..So, new actual real checkered spring plug, checkered mag release, blued barrel including the hood, colt surplus grips, and checkered mainspring housing.
    James

Last edited by picketpin; 19th November 2015 at 13:16.

Very nice grouping. Might be little to the left, but nice and tight. I don't think I could be that accurate with that gun, so great job!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast