Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, with AO question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New, with AO question

I joined the forum recently because it seems to be the best resource for Auto Ordnance I have found. Lots of interesting topics and great info. I have a question about what makes the 1911 pkzma Massachusetts compliant. I have looked at the AO website and the specs look exactly the same as the specs on the standard non-Mass model. I have looked up what it takes to make a handgun Mass compliant, 10 lb trigger , firing pin block..... Any way, I was hoping that one of you has info on this item... I do have one coming from Bud's, so if no one knows I'll let you all know in a week..
    Thanks
    james
    Last edited by picketpin; 4th October 2015 at 13:13.

Posts liked by others
    My understanding is that the 10-pound trigger is only required for pistols that don't have an external safety. The difference might be the loaded chamber indicator.

I'll try to get a definitive answer from Kahr.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 4th October 2015 at 12:52.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, thank you. I talked to a guy at Kahr the other day about their bko finish and how it differed from the parkerized finish, his answer was it is black and the parkerized finish is parkerized.. Hmm..Maybe I need to learn how to ask questions better.. I'm guessing you are right it is the loaded chamber indicator, as a 80 series low cap 1911 fits most of the requirements already.

James

Posts liked by others
    To my great surprise, my contact at Kahr Arms monitors his e-mail on Sundays, The answer to the question is:

Thanks for reaching out regarding this issue.

The MA Compliant Auto-Ordnance 1911 has the infamous "masshole" in the barrel hood which serves as a chamber loaded indicator.

Furthermore it has a hidden second serial number on the frame.
    So a parkerized finish is parkerized, eh? Who would have suspected?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 4th October 2015 at 18:55.

Posts liked by others
    Wow, thanks for the inside info on that! Masshole, that's funny... Looking forward to the arrival of my AO.. will post the obligatory photos of course..

Thanks again,
    James

Posts liked by others
    I believe it's black park. I have a 90's SA done in black park originally and its purdy. I have a '05 AO 1911 that's been flawless in operation , in gray park. I may get another in black park.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by picketpin View Post
    Masshole, that's funny...
    For the trivia lovers that have never lived in New England, "Masshole" has long been a term used to describe drivers from Massachusetts (they've earned it, by the way).

The term has recently been added to the Oxford English Dictionary. http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...opN/story.html

Posts liked by others
    The mass compliant 1911 means I has the 80's trigger with the extra lever inside with the pin that blocks the firing pin in the slide the gun won't shoot unless it's in full battery. Another safety. Same setup as the 80 series colt. I have both the AO mass compliant and the series 80 colt.
    Last edited by 1911crazy; 30th December 2015 at 22:17.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    The mass compliant 1911 means I has the 80's trigger with the extra lever inside with the pin that blocks the firing pin ...
    All current production Auto Ordnance 1911 have a Series 80 style firing pin safety, whether they are Massachusetts compliant or not.

Posts liked by others
    Not just the current production AOs. Auto Ordnance has used the series-80 style firing pin safety for a very long time, definitely well before they were acquired by Kahr Arms. They may well have had the extra safety from the very beginning.

What 'Mass compliant' means has been explained, by the horse's mouth, on post #4 in this thread.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast