Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Wilson CQB vs Les Baer UTC

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Wilson CQB vs Les Baer UTC

Let me start out by saying I have been carrying the same Glock 19 since 1996 or so. I have been very happy with it and have put several thousand or more rounds through it. I think I have gotten bored with it and wanna try something new.
    I ain't no rich fella but I want a quality reliable 1911. I have wanted one for years and may finally have the opurtunity to obtain one. Through the research so far I have decided on Wilson CQB or Baer UTC.
    I really need to hear what y'all think of them before I can make my mind.
    I will be using for range and carry.
    Thanks Ben.

Posts liked by others
    You can't go wrong with either of the guns you mention, though for some reason I think I'd go for the Wilson.

That said, if this is going to be your first 1911, perhaps it would be a better idea to start off with something cheaper.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    No bad choices there. I just took delivery of a Wilson Classic today and hope to be able to give a short range report soon. I also have several LB guns and they are always putting a smile on my face. If the Wilson does that I'll be a happy girl.
    Given the price difference, I'd probably start with a LB.
    Best wishes on either one of them.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 20th July 2015 at 20:07.

Posts liked by others
    While the two I have aren't the same model as you are asking about, they still represent a similar model from each maker.
    I shot both my Wilson Classic and my Les Baer P2 with the 1.5" option today at 15 yards and it was with my arms rested on a bench. I wanted to see how much difference there might be between them.
    he target on the left is 5 rounds of CCI Blazer brass 230 from the LB, the center is same ammo thru the Wilson and the right target is 20 or so rounds of my 200 lswc handload out of the Wilson.

As far as accuracy I can't see enough of a difference in the two to have any worthwhile comments.
    The guns both have good triggers but they are different, neither is actually broken in. The LB has less than 500 through it I think and the Wilson was out for it's first range trip just today.
    At this point I couldn't pick a favorite between the two.
    As I said in the previous post, either is a good choice.
    Best wishes.

PS: both guns have chamber flags in them which is why they aren't fully closed and the hammers are back.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 21st July 2015 at 18:50.

Posts liked by others
    Nice.

Question: are they both stainless or is the LB hard-chromed?
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The LB is hard chrome. I optioned it with top and rear serrations, naked slide, mag well, 1.5" option (yes you can tell the difference) and a 3.5 pound trigger pull. The Wilson is stainless and optioned about the same. It has a flushed & recessed crown and a bevel on the bottom edge of the slide. Both are awesome.

Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Amen.

I'm torn now. I like the details on the Wilson, but I'm partial to hard-chromed guns...
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Wilson, great customer service if you ever need it, very friendly, great product. I had a Les Baer UTC, nice pistol, bought a Wilson sold my UTC. Everyone has a preference, but I really do like the fit, finish, feel and function of my Wilsons.

Posts liked by others
    I belong to a couple high end shooty ranges and have shot a few of each. These were also the adjustable sight paper punches like Joni has. My hands etc like the Wilsons a little more but they are both really nice. I think it would come down to the features you could get on each that you liked, etc.
    NRA Life Member