Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Help with 2011 STI Tactical

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Help with 2011 STI Tactical

Hello all. I replaced my grip on the 2011, which Led me to tearing down the pistol more than I ever have before. All is functioning correctly after reassembling other than the trigger pull wheight when finger is lower on trigger face is A lot heavier then the pull wheight when my finger is at or near the top part of the trigger face. I have taken apart and reassembled twice and still have the same problem. Thank you in advance for any help.

Posts liked by others
    Given the trigger movement is pretty well confined to forwards and backwards in the trigger bow frame ways, that seems to be an unusual problem. I take it the trigger pull issue only showed up after your first disassemble and reassemble.

I suppose pressure on the bottom part of the trigger could vertically displace the trigger bow in one direction where pushing back on the upper part of the trigger could result in a vertical displacement in the opposite direction. I also suppose something could cause the trigger to bind. Perhaps the underside of the trigger has a burr? Or, maybe the trigger is binding in the frame.

That said, I generally check trigger movement when I reinstall it and the magazine catch back into the frame. I do this with the grips off and no other parts in the pistol. And that leads to how I would try to trouble shoot the problem.

First, be careful with the trigger when you have the slide off the frame. You don't want to drop the hammer on the frame without having the slide in place.

Start by removing the grips but leave the slide on the frame.

Check trigger movement without the grips to see if you can eyeball the problem. If you observe some obstruction at this point see if you figure out what is causing it and how you might fix it.

If you still have a problem, continue disassembling the pistol until you have either figured out what causes the issue or the problem goes away. If the problem goes away after you remove some part, you have a good idea about what part is the problem.

Eventually, you may get to the point of having the magazine catch out of the pistol without having found the problem. At that point the trigger should move fairly easily. If it doesn't, then it is binding. The the trick is to identify where it is binding and why it binds.

Once the trigger moves okay, the slowly reassemble the pistol and verify the trigger continues to work.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 23rd February 2015 at 23:17.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for your time and knowledge, I will do as you say tomorrow. Thanks again!

Posts liked by others
    Pyrenean, this is an STI doublestack, which doesn't have grips like a normal 1911...

More to the point, the trigger raceway in these guns is SPLIT between the metal frame, and the plastic grip frame. The trigger has to be captured between these two parts, for assembly.

[this is because of the need to solve a 'spatial' problem, found in all doublestack 1911s: the trigger bow has to be wider, too wide to pass through the gap left when the grip safety is removed. Each maker of uber-wide 1911s has a different solution to this: Para cuts the frame and uses the grips to hide the gap; Caspian and BUL use a special grip safety, with two 'ears', to fill the gap in the frame; Wilson's 'SpecOps' is... actually I don't know how this one works, but it appears be to based around a trigger with a removable (pinned) finger pad.]

Anyway... when the OP changed grip frames, he effectively changed the bottom half of his trigger raceway in the frame, including the slot from which the trigger emerges, in the triggerguard. Oh the triggerguard's new now, too. If this were my pistol, I'd strip it back down and look for any burrs in the plastic grip frame (I'm guessing, probably near the front), the triggerguard and anything else that the trigger bow and finger pad get to touch.

To the OP: did you also change the trigger itself? I thought that STI sells the grip frame, the magazine release and the trigger together, as a set.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 24th February 2015 at 05:37.

Posts liked by others
    Ah, I missed the 2011 but, at my age, a mere 100 year difference doesn't mean all that much
    In that case, a burr seems likely.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info, no all i received was grip frame. I will look for a burr today. Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    It was a burr near the safety. Thanks a bunch!

Posts liked by others
    Ah... not near the front, then. Oh well, glad you found it!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I miss spoke, it was near the mag release not the safety.