Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future AO 1911 GI reproduction purchase ?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    It doesn't need to look like it.
    It sort of does if, like the OP, your criterion is that it look like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63
    I have had the hankering for a GI model for a while and it seems the AO is just about as close as you can get...

I just want to have a good ole' reliable GI reproduction ...something to remind me of the first 1911 I ever shot..was my Dads ..a old worn Colt 1911 milsurp..he picked up from a Pawnshop back in the 50's...

I looked in to getting a RIA GI ..but the AO seems to be closer to the GI model...
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    It doesn't need to look like it. To each his own.
    Well, if it doesn't look "mil spec" why do they call it "Mil Spec"?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
    Well, if it doesn't look "mil spec" why do they call it "Mil Spec"?
    Speculating on why they call it what they call it....because like the M1911A1 it is considered "no frills". It has the correct grip (arched main spring housing) and correct grip safety as opposed to the modern and more popular beaver tail. You could always ask SA why they call a model a certain name.

Posts liked by others
    However, I much prefer the grips to have "US" in place of the SA logo. Even though the wood is nice.

Posts liked by others
    "Mil Spec" (Military Specifications) Unless I knew better, I would assume, as could expected, that a "Mil Spec" gun was made to a published set of military specifications/standards. In fact, the term as used to market guns in the civilian sector, is not used in the same sense the military uses it. As such it is both imprecise and misleading.

Posts liked by others
    IIRC, quite some time ago Springfield had one entry-level model, called the "GI Mil-Spec." It looked like a military M1911A1.

Then, for unknown reasons, they split up that pistol into a "GI" line and a "Mil-Spec" line -- the Mil-Spec receiving a bunch of very non-mil-spec alterations like the slanted cocking serrations, the fancy "US" double diamond grips, and a few other enhancements.

And then about two years ago they simply dropped the "GI" pistol completely.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    For clarification, here is a pic of a SA GI Mil-Spec that they discontinued a couple years ago. You will see one on GB once in awhile (used) selling in the $550 range.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithN View Post
    For clarification, here is a pic of a SA GI Mil-Spec that they discontinued a couple years ago. You will see one on GB once in awhile (used) selling in the $550 range.
    Now, other than the garish roll-mark on the slide and those (to me) cheesy-looking stocks, that's a good-looking replica.

Posts liked by others
    Did it come with those Double Diamond grips or the proper plain brown plastic type found on the 1911A1s? You are right though - other than the grips and big roll marks, from what I can see it is a good looking replica of the 1911A1.

Posts liked by others
    IIRC these guns came with two sets of stocks: the ones above and a set of black plastic ones.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast