Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future AO 1911 GI reproduction purchase ?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Future AO 1911 GI reproduction purchase ?

I have been looking at purchasing a AO 1911..GI ...I have had the hankering for a GI model for a while and it seems the AO is just about as close as you can get...I owned one once upon a time ..and was pleased ..but traded it off...(Dumb)

I just want to have a good ole' reliable GI reproduction ...something to remind me of the first 1911 I ever shot..was my Dads ..a old worn Colt 1911 milsurp..he picked up from a Pawnshop back in the 50's...He lost the pistol on a snow mobile in the mid 80's ...

I looked in to getting a RIA GI ..but the AO seems to be closer to the GI model...

Posts liked by others
    The AO may look more GI but it does have a firing pin safety. The RIA does not.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Yep...I remember that...

Posts liked by others
    Purely in terms of GI looks, I think current AOs are as good as it gets. They used to have some odd quirks, i.e. frontrstaps that were a bit too square and some odd detailing above the trigger, but the current ones seem to be fine. Of course for extended shooting, one area where they might be a bit too close to GI spec is the tiny sights... it's up to you to decide if this is OK.

Yes, they have firing pin safeties. Maybe one day I'll fire enough rounds out of enough 1911s to be able to tell when a trigger is affected by one of these. I'm definitely not there yet, so they don't bother me. YMMV.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I agree that, short of finding a Colt or custom M1911A1 reproduction, the Auto-Ordnance GI is as close as you're likely to find, visually, to the real thing. They also happen to be good guns. Skip over to our e-zine. Hunter tested the A-O GI a few years ago and, more recently, we also published a test of the more up-scale Thompson MC, which is also an A-O product.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I know that they are not offered anymore, but when I was looking for the same thing years ago, I found the Springfield Armory G.I. pistol to suit my needs. The only part that to me didn't meet my standards was the ILS mainspring housing. Luckily, I had a rounded m/s housing with the lanyard loop that I had taken off a previous Mil Spec model with no ILS. Problem solved.
    The G.I. model does show up on auction sites now and then but I don't know how much they are asking for them.
    SEMPER FI

Posts liked by others
    I was also looking for a GI model that was as American made as possible, and as close to the service pistol I fired when I came into the Army back in 1980, and the AO seemed to be that pistol. Now that I have one, and have put hundreds of rounds through it, with no FTF, FTE, it goes bang every time. Solid, accurate enough, and it just feels and looks like I think an M1911A1 should. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Posts liked by others
    I also have a AO WW2 PKZE .45 and like the previous posters, I am very happy with it. As stated earlier, it does have the Series 80 firing pin block. Another thing that is different from G.I. issued .45s (and easily fixed) is the magazine. The magazine follower has a hump in it which I was told by AO makes feeding more reliable. Another small difference (at least on mine, made in 2005) is the roll stamp on the slide is light and not very visible. The roll stamp also says "Model 1911 US Army" as opposed to "Model of 1911 US Army". These are very minor issues in my opinion and my .45 has proven to be very reliable and I have had very few issues with it. It also has the feel of the .45s that I carried and shot in the service.

Posts liked by others
    In addition to being the most authentic-looking 1911A1 now made, it's a H... of a fine gun. I've got 500 rounds through mine and have had absolutely zero problems.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by .45s r best View Post
    The roll stamp also says "Model 1911 US Army" as opposed to "Model of 1911 US Army".
    Are you sure that's what it says? Mine (2014 manufacture) says "Model 1911A1 US Army". And "Model of 1911 US Army" would be appropriate for a Model 1911 - not a Model 1911A1.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast