Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sporatic visits to the Forum

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sporatic visits to the Forum

The Forum isn't visited as often now as in the past. Even so, when I access the Forum 'New Posts, the posts only extend for about the last 48 hours or so.

Is there a way for the 'New Posts Since The Last Visit' to actually extend back to the last visit?

Thanks,

salty

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Well, when you go to the site, in the activity page, there is a "Filter" link.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 22.35.10 .jpg

It's on the right side of the blue bar shown in the picture above. There is no link "Since your last visit" there, but you can extend your search to last 7 days, or last 30 days.

I am sorry but the functionality of the old site was not completely transferred to the new version.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I am sorry but the functionality of the old site was not completely transferred to the new version.
    Ain't that the truth. The "Since last visit" search is only one of the features I miss from the old software. As if we needed more proof that 'New and improved" does not necessarily mean "improved," it often just means "different."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Let me explain why we lost some functionality when we moved from the old version to the new one.

In the old site, I had added a lot of functionality, by altering the code myself. And when I say a lot of things, I mean really a lot. There was hardly one single program left, that was not altered to add more functionality. That, however, had a severe drawback. We couldn't upgrade vBulletin (the software we use to run this site) to newer versions and that can be a severe security issue. Eventually, I had to upgrade the software, in order to keep the site secure.

I may try and see if I can implement the "Since last visit" functionality in the new version, but I am not willing to do it, in the old-fashioned way, by altering the code itself. Only if an add-on exists, which gives us that functionality, I will do it.

Stay tuned.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, let's see if that is OK with you guys.

Look near the top of a page. Under Mr. Browning's picture and right above the Search area, it says something like:

You last visited: Yesterday at 22:38 : You Have 10 Unread Posts

If you click on the Unread Posts words, then you should be shown the threads which contain new posts.

How is that for a quick fix????
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    OK, let's see if that is OK with you guys.

Look near the top of a page. Under Mr. Browning's picture and right above the Search area, it says something like:

You last visited: Yesterday at 22:38 : You Have 10 Unread Posts

If you click on the Unread Posts words, then you should be shown the threads which contain new posts.

How is that for a quick fix????
    Is this new? I've been doing exactly this since the switch. As far as I can tell it goes back beyond 24 hours, I would imagine it goes back as far as it needs to, but I rarely take longer than a day to check-in, so I wouldn't know.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    No, it's not new, but I had forgotten I had installed it! LoRL

It goes back 30 days, if memory serves me right!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Unfortunately it's true that this Forum isn't visited as often now as in the past, but let's try to be positive, what can we do to make it better?
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.