Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Simple Observation

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

A Simple Observation

I have been kicking around the notion of purchasing a new semi-custom 1911. Wanted to come here to find of few opinions of the masses, just a bit disappointed.

I've been a member of this site for eight years. I joined when I decided to get my first 1911, a Google search brought me here. Like many, I have done a lot more reading than posting and appreciate all the information I have learned. To tell the truth, I will have to wait until this is posted to see how many posts I have. As many have stated, there is a wealth of archived information on the beloved 1911. There are examples of many different manufacturers in my safe, both long guns and hand guns of several different calibers. However, the ones I enjoy shooting the most and shoot the most of are the .45 ACP 1911s (and clones). I like the format of this site, major pistol manufacturers, Gunsmithing, Collectors Corner and of course the Flea Market.

The problem I see is that activity is waning. As of the time of my post there are five members logged in. In the last 24 hours there have been 39 new posts. Go the the Forum Home Page and take a stroll down the "Last Post" column, look at the dates. I am a member of several other gun forums, some dedicated to just one manufacturer. Miss a day or two on those and you have to do a lot of reading to catch up. One thing that I have found to be aggravating on those other forums, one in particular, are all of the "How'd I do?" or "What's it worth" posts. I know how to determine what a gun is worth to me.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, I saw the "Opinion" section and thought I would oblige. I'll check back in four to six weeks, Y'all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Posts liked by others
    So, as an eight year member with thirty posts you are disappointed with the lack of members posting? I agree it would be better if we could figure out a way to get more lurkers to participate in the discussions.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    A lot of readers, too few writers. I guess!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Lots of information. Very little noise

Posts liked by others
    There's a relationship between activity and prominence in search engine results. I found this site because I already knew John through other activities, but most people find "gun" forums by one of two ways: search engines, or referrals from other members. In my case, I currently participate more or less regularly in two other "gun" forums, and I'm registered as a member of three or four more. Most of the others I found through referrals on a site to which I already belonged.

What we need to do to boost traffic here is for all of us to introduce other 1911 people to this forum. The 1911 seems to be growing in popularity, not fading, but it's also facing an increasing amount of competition from the rapidly expanding number of polymer pistols and "PPGs" (polymer pocket guns) on the market. On occasion someone will ask a 1911-related question on another forum, like The Firing Line. Once in a great while I'll see a response from someone with a screen name I recognize from here but, more often, there's just not much of a response at all.

That's a perfect opportunity to post up a link and ask, "Have you asked that question at M1911.ORG?" If you're not comfortable making such a suggestion in an open forum, at least send the person who posted the question a PM to suggest that he/she can probably find good information here.

The more we get people to post, the more activity the search engines "see" and the higher we appear in the results for searches on terms like "1911" or M1911." I know at one time we were the first (top) result for such searches on Google. I don't know if that's still the case. If not, we need to rebuild our standing by generating activity.

I've also noticed recently that we have members who joined seven or eight years ago (or more) who still have fewer than ten posts. There's nothing wrong with that; there's no requirement to post in order to maintain your membership. But this is a forum, a discussion group, a community. Someone who has been a member here for seven or eight years probably has something to contribute, and I always wonder why they are reluctant to participate more actively. Please -- join in. Become part of the conversation. This forum isn't Pirates of the Rubicon ... we don't eat first-timers for breakfast around here (although, for dinner, with a nice Chianti ...).

Maybe John could develop a template for printing M1911.ORG business cards. Avery (and Staples and Office Max) have pre-perforated business card stock that you can run through any laser or inkjet printer to make business cards. We could print a sheet or two to carry around and, if you encounter a fellow 1911 shooter at a range or in a gun shop, give them a card and ask if they know about the site.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    All very good ideas, although I suppose the OP may have more insight into why some visit the site for years, but provide little input, than the rest of us. (No "slam" on the OP; please post when you can.)

Like Hawk; I visit a few other sites myself, but still check by here regularly and attempt to "help out" where I can.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Maybe John could develop a template for printing M1911.ORG business cards. Avery (and Staples and Office Max) have pre-perforated business card stock that you can run through any laser or inkjet printer to make business cards. We could print a sheet or two to carry around and, if you encounter a fellow 1911 shooter at a range or in a gun shop, give them a card and ask if they know about the site.
    This the best idea I've heard in a long time!
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I've sent a proposed Avery format template (in Word) to John for his approval. Stay tuned.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    Lots of information. Very little noise
    I think that's part of it too. The signal to noise ratio here is quite a bit less than other sites. It's what drew me here in the first place. But we do need more active members. If you use the search engine and rank user activity in the last 30 days, I'm in the top 10 most active with only 9 posts. If you eliminate moderators and admins, I'm in the top 3 and I'm only posting about every 3-4 days even though I login and read every morning. I think part of it is the market. While the 1911 is growing in popularity and available models, you'd never know it by looking at most gun-related websites. Most sites are all buzzing about the latest plastic wunderkind from Europe, or the most popular kydex maker this week.

We 1911 folks are sitting around quietly smiling because we already found the solution they are seeking.

I like the recruiting idea. It's just like any other venture, you have to bring in the next generation to keep it going.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    A few times I've posted links to here others have mentioned non-members can't view photos. I realize it's a method to get people to sign up but perhaps turning that off for a month might get some to look around after they get here from a link.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast