Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Republica Argentina Armada Nacional 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Republica Argentina Armada Nacional 1911

I have a 1911 Government Model made in Hartford, Connecticut, Serial Number C178XXX. Shown on the left side of the Slide is the typical Colt’s Manufacturing jargon up to and including the 1913 patent, Rampant Colt right of that etc. On the right side of the slide are the words: COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBRE 45, REPUBLICA ARGENTIA ARMADA NACIONAL. The top of the slide has the Argentinian emblem between the ejection port and the rear sight.

The gun has been Parked. I have heard different theories’ on this and don’t put much weight on what I’ve heard or read for that matter.

The serial number on the Slide is 158XXX I did shoot the handgun with a Wilson Combat drop-in barrel and the gun performed without malfunction or so much as a miss-feed. It fired and ejected four 230 grain round nose, four 200 grain Semi-wad cutters, and seven 200 grain HP’s. I would add that the gun with the Wilson Combat barrel installed shot a 7 shot 2 inchgroup at 21 feet. I think it may be an Argentine Contract Gun with a later re-work or maybe just a gun that was put together from misc. parts. The gun as I found it had repairable damage to the bottom of the mag well, a ding in thebarrel muzzle rim, and a later magazine that seemed to be swollen at the bottom third of the magazine. A magazine in good condition feeds and ejects normally. As the frame serial number is beyond the sequence of anything I have seen or read, I feel that I have nothing more than a shooter at best. Can anyone tell me anything different about this 1911.

I will post pictures as soon as I figure that out.
    Last edited by Ibassin1; 1st December 2014 at 20:03.

Posts liked by others
    Frame serial 1934, 1935 or 1936; slide serial 1929 or 1930 according to Mr. Clawson's Commercial book 2ed. serial list, pg 226. Original finish blue for that era but Argentina refinished many pistols.

The book shows several shipments of that frame serial range to Argentina from 1935/1936. I'm not finding any serials in the 158XXX range but C154600-C155000 shipped 1927 according to pg 142 of the book. The book also mentions several small and single shipments, serials/disposition unknown or not mentioned.

Please post photos of the magazine also.
    Last edited by Doran; 2nd December 2014 at 03:18.

Posts liked by others
    http://s733.photobucket.com/user/ibassin/media/1911%201911A1/DSC_0624-1.jpg.html?sort=3

I am figuring this out as far as photos are concerned, this however is the gun in question. when I found the gun, there were no grips on the gun. These pacs however were in the box where the gun was found. had to do some work on the grip bushing as two were damaged and one had a grip screw cross threaded in it.
    Last edited by Ibassin1; 2nd December 2014 at 23:03.

Posts liked by others
    I sent you a PM.

Posts liked by others
    DSC_0625 (1024x678).jpgDSC_0627 (1024x678).jpgDSC_0648 (1024x678) (800x530).jpgDSC_0652.jpg

Trying to post some pics. There has to be a better way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    I may have too. There has to be a better way to do this. chat later.

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Looks like a good shooter.

I believe the magazine some aftermarket example. Photos a little dark but it appears to have a drainhole in the front above the toe making it recent production if so.

Posts liked by others
    I am not sure exactly what your question is but I have two of these pistols. My understanding is that they were part of an order in 1930 for Colt to manufacture the gun for the Argentina Police.
    I ordered both with original magazines and springs and they came exactly as ordered. If any parts had been replaced, the original parts were included.
    I was not looking for anything collectable, just shooter, and that is what I have. One of these is my dedicated carry gun.
    I think both are excellent examples of original 1911A1 pistols and frankly I do not see any real difference in these guns and the $4 K guns offered at the gun shows.

Posts liked by others
    I never really thought that I had a collector here. My thought was to just make it a shooter. As I have had it for some time and I really have little if any money into it, I put it on here just to see if someone saw something in it that I didn't. Thank you Doran for you thoughts and thank you Robert Segars for your input. All appreciated! Someday, maybe I will put some of my other examples on here to see what others think about them. Thanks again for your thoughts. I will have to get back on here once in a while to se what's being discussed. Bill