Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Builder/Assembly question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Builder/Assembly question

Hello All;

I haven't posted in a while but know this is the place to get answers on all things Les Baer. I got into a discussion with a buddy on the quality of LB handguns. While we weren't arguing about the differences between LB and other brands, we were discussing the differences between LB across the years and even from Indiana to Idaho.
    He said that you could tell who built the gun by the builders initials and this could determine whether it was an older employee or a newer one.
    I had never run across this situation and since I've owned Baers since the mid-90s without a hiccup I thought it insignificant.
    However, after thinking about it, I reasoned that other brands of 1911 have had their ups and downs and one could track by serial number. My questions are the following: Do the assemblers/builders put their initials on the gun or just the build certificate that comes with the gun (I've detail stripped my LB over the years and can only recall certain parts serialized not initialed)?
    If the guns are initialed, where are they typically found?

Thanks for you time.

Gerry
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Oso View Post
    If the guns are initialed, where are they typically found?
    Why don't you ask the guy who told you they are initialed? If he knows they are, he should know where the initials are to be found.

I've never heard this, but I don't own any Baers so that's inconclusive.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have 4 and had 4 others. Never seen what appeared to be a builders mark. Doesn't mean there isn't just that I'm not aware of one or haven't noticed.

But now that I'm curious I'll look. I do know that some are a bit tighter than others, slide to frame is one area that it's easy to feel the differences in resistance. Bushing, barrel and slide is another.

Jim