Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto-Ordnance 1911 "BKO"

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Auto-Ordnance 1911 "BKO"

How is this different than their other GI 1911's? Possibly a bead-blasted blue instead of Parkerized?:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearm...ce-1911BKO.asp

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    How is this different than their other GI 1911's? Possibly a bead-blasted blue instead of Parkerized?:

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearm...ce-1911BKO.asp
    The page in the link says it's "matte black finish" not blued. I'd guess it's a painted finish like duracoat or ceracoat.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Or a matte blued finish which would look black. It might almost look like the DuLite finish which R-R and others put on some of the early 1911A1s.
    Last edited by Hurryin' Hoosier; 12th September 2014 at 20:23.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
    Or a matte blued finish which would look black. It might almost look like the DuLite finish which R-R and others put on some of the early 1911A1s.
    THAT would be nice! Someone call them on Monday and find out. 508-795-3919
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    As a point of comparison, Remington 870 Police models use standard Parkerizing, while the cheaper Express models use the matte blue. Parkerization is supposedly the more durable finish (60% more durable, if you believe Remington's press).

Posts liked by others
    It looks really nice, they still polished the barrel hood though. I think its almost certainly bead blasted blue as the pistol has a lower MSRP than the parkerized models. it would be a good choice for Wild Bunch or Zoot shooting where the pistol does not have to look 100% GI.
    http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/ A Place For Classic Firearms.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    It looks really nice, they still polished the barrel hood though. I think its almost certainly bead blasted blue as the pistol has a lower MSRP than the parkerized models. it would be a good choice for Wild Bunch or Zoot shooting where the pistol does not have to look 100% GI.
    I had very good results using Brownell's Oxpho Blue on the barrel hood of my A-O 1911A1. I heated the barrel with a hair-dryer, applied it four or five times without any wiping-off or buffing, let it "cook" quite a bit longer than the instructions called for, drenched it with oil, and let it cure for a couple of days. Came out a nice matte black.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurryin' Hoosier View Post
    I had very good results using Brownell's Oxpho Blue on the barrel hood of my A-O 1911A1. I heated the barrel with a hair-dryer, applied it four or five times without any wiping-off or buffing, let it "cook" quite a bit longer than the instructions called for, drenched it with oil, and let it cure for a couple of days. Came out a nice matte black.
    It's great stuff, I did the same on my AO 1911A1, Oxpho Blue is the best cold blue going.
    http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/ A Place For Classic Firearms.

Posts liked by others
    I believe the BKO is a reference to the black oxide finish they use. Here's what I've been able to find on it.
    "Black oxide is an oxidation process, basically its controlled rusting of the iron or carbon steel its applied to. This dark grey or black "rust" forms a very thin layer on the steel, but because of the low temperatures and less caustic nature it doesn't penetrate the steel very much. This makes it both less durable and less even a finish than hot caustic blueing or Parkerizing."

Posts liked by others
    ...or to put it another way: black oxide is another name for the finish on the slide of your Glock, S&W M&P or just about any other plastic-framed pistol out there. So it's pretty good.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast