Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Some really nice Colt lanyard loop magazines ca. 1914

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Some really nice Colt lanyard loop magazines ca. 1914

Like many other collectors of vintage Colt M1911 pistols, I try to pick up nice magazines and other accoutrements when I can. Here are three especially nice lanyard loop magazines ca. 1914 I've had for some time. Quite honestly, I don't even remember when or where I got them. I just sort and store mags as spares for pistols in my collection, and for when I might pick up a nice rig that needs one...or three. You can just never really have enough good mags.

Anyway, here are three that rate about new condition.

A year or two back, I had the good fortune to help a fellow buy a really choice 1914 Colt M1911 that came with a beautiful 1916 RIA M1916 holster and a new condition 1918 pistol belt and mag pocket. He had the rig shipped to me for authentication purposes. The rig came with only one correct magazine, and while it was nice condition, it just was not good enough for the pistol. I wrote the inspection for the rig, had it shipped to the buyer and told him if he ever decided to sell, I'd appreciate the opportunity to buy.

Since purchasing the rig, my buyer had purchased a new condition lanyard and a couple spare magazines. He contacted me last week and asked if i still had interest in purchasing. I was happy to pay a good bit of profit above his initial cost because he got a good buy and the pistol was just superb original condition. So we came to an agreement and he shipped the rig to my dealer.

He had purchased one minty magazine that was the correct style, but was a commercial Government Model magazine. The other correct spare also lacked condition to go with the pistol, but makes a good mag for a lesser pistol. So this ended up being a perfect opportunity to use the three mags shown...one on the pistol and two for the mag pocket.

Obviously, a M1912 holster and earlier rig would be most appropriate for display purposes. However, this is the rig that came with the pistol when purchased a year or two back. I suppose this rig could have been issued with the pistol during WWI, so I don't mind leaving it together. I'd hate to actually separate a pistol from its issued rig. As far as condition goes, I am very pleased. The extra magazines I had completed the rig and look much more appropriate for the pistol.

Had there been any chance the mag that originally came with the pistol a while back was original to the gun, I'd have never separated it. But that mag just showed a lot more use than the pistol. Some guys wouldn't notice, or wouldn't care...but the expense of appropriate mags for this rig didn't bother me a bit. Because I don't even remember buying the mags, that makes it all that much easier, too.

A few pictures of the pistol and rig...

A lot of people ruin old .45s by trying to improve them.

Posts liked by others
    Excellent magazines. Pistol isn't too bad either.

Posts liked by others
    Do you accept PayPal?

Posts liked by others
    Works of art! Thanks for sharing.

Posts liked by others
    VERY nice!
    What the 1911 was designed to be.
    IMHO, JMB would approve.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(

Posts liked by others
    Most Excellent. Thank goodness the pistol wasn't stored in the holster. Very nice rig. I aspire to be like you, or at least have one of the pistols like you have acquired.

LHS