Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for a higher-end 1911 and why?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Guys I was a part of this thread when it first started. I will now offer a different view based only on my own experience. When I became interested in the 1911 platform I was more struck with the problems that many were having with various 1911s than with the pleasure of the gun.THE NARRIATIVE THAT FOLLOWS IS MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS A RECOMMENDATION FOR OTHERS TO DO AS I HAVE DONE1
    I did not want to endure that so my first purchase was a high end 1911. The gun functioned as it should and why not I had paid for something that was supposed to work. I am probably glad I went that way but I can say that the 1911s that have given me the most pleasure are the beat up old(mostly Colts) that have come from pawnshops, places like Sarco and individuals. Guns that looked like 26 miles of bad road. Ones that had 13 lb triggers that now have 3 3/4 to 4lb triggers with original magazines that will function every time with any of my handloads I decide to use. ( I have never changed a magazine spring) I have bent magazines in ways that I would not recommend any one else try, I have probably just been lucky.
    When I read some of the comments here about one thing or the other in regards solving problems I am I awe of the vast knowledge available but for the most part I have only a passing understanding of what is being said.
    In short I am truly in awe of the 1911 and how well they function. Maybe rather than lusting after a three to five thousand dollar gun use the one you have or can afford. tear the gun completely apart and put it back together over and over until you can do it in the dark. I do not intend this to be literal advice and is probably not something everyone should do. For the most part my high end 1911 sits happily in the safe and and the guns that are shot are the ones that when people look at ,the most common comment is "that gun has some age on it"
    Last edited by Robert Segars; 14th August 2014 at 06:56. Reason: spelling

Posts liked by others
    In no particular order:

Dan Wesson Valor
    Springfield TRP
    Springfield MC Operator
    Colt Rail Gun
    Colt Combat Elite
    Colt Gold Cup

Any of those six production guns will come in well under $2000 and are of impressive quality and accuracy. You can spend more, but you don't need to. Unless you have a side job with one of those super secret special warrior squads, or are an IPSC Grand Master, any of these will shoot better than you can push them.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Likes (1) :
    FollowJesus (19th July 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I've heard realy good things bout the Dan Wesson 1911's.

I have a used Pointman 9 en-route as we speak! Paid >$1,000. 95% new condition

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blo...tman-nine.html

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni Lynn View Post
    To eliminate all MIM and cast parts you'll probably need to special order a Wilson built that way. It'll most likely exceed the price ceiling you mention.
    For accuracy and reliability I like Les Baer. In the end it's like picking what brand of car to buy, all different but all similar as well. Pick one that you'll enjoy shooting and will be happy with.
    Good luck.
    Wilson Combat only uses their 100% bullet proof parts in all their guns, been that way for a couple years now. No need to special order.
    If it's not a Colt, it's just a much better made copy.

Posts liked by others
    Ross6860, After reading your post and reply, you might want to try an upper end Springfield, then have their custom shop modify it to fit your tastes. Kind-of gives a person the best both worlds.

Posts liked by others
    Ed Brown's FAQ states that they do not use any MIM parts: FAQ Link.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Trvlngnrs View Post
    I've heard realy good things bout the Dan Wesson 1911's.

I have a used Pointman 9 en-route as we speak! Paid >$1,000. 95% new condition

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blo...tman-nine.html
    A few days ago I purchased a DW Guardian after handling it at the gun shop. Today will be the first trip to the range with it. DW doesn't use MIM parts.
    Last edited by tnhawk; 16th August 2015 at 13:07.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123