Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil or grease

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Oil or grease

Bought my first Springfield 1911. What lube do you use on the slide rails? Oil or grease? I have a 1911 A1 Loaded.
    Thanks for any info!
    NRA Member

Posts liked by others
    I use oil on the rails. My favorite is Gun Butter followed by Weapon Shield. If this happens to be a stainless gun or has an alloy frame keep plenty of lube on them. They do not like to run dry.

Enjoy the addiction of having 1911's.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Dave W. Steel frame and slide!
    NRA Member

Posts liked by others
    I use grease on my Stainless Loaded. My extended range sessions are about 250 rounds or so...all I do is run a patch down the bore every 50 rounds or so and never have to relube the rails.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I never let my 1911 run dry, but it's also advisdable not to overlube.
    In my opinions grease is superior to oil for reducing wear, when I've finished to clean my gun I use just a bit of WD40, (just to dry any bit of moisture still present on the gun) I wipe it with a clean cloth, then I apply very little bits of TETRA Gun Grease.
    Personally I ALWAYS properly clean and lube my gun everytime back from the range.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (1) :
    Old Zebra (6th February 2017)

Last edited by Sergio Natali; 3rd February 2014 at 08:27. Reason: point out why and how I use WD40

Posts liked by others
    I use gunbutter and CLP on my guns, stainless or otherwise. Lately I've been giving a product based on Molybdenum Bisulphide a try, but it's too early to call this one.

I would NEVER use WD40 on any gun I own... this thing is great for chainsaws or any other garden tools that have water or moisture, since Water Displacement is what it's supposed to do. IMHO it has no business on a gun.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I use gunbutter and CLP on my guns, stainless or otherwise. Lately I've been giving a product based on Molybdenum Bisulphide a try, but it's too early to call this one.

I would NEVER use WD40 on any gun I own... this thing is great for chainsaws or any other garden tools that have water or moisture, since Water Displacement is what it's supposed to do. IMHO it has no business on a gun.
    I don't know about the Moly grease...I use it every day on brake components and it has a tendency to dry and cake over time. I agree with the WD40 reply....for it to be of ANY use, it would have to be applied to the extent of saturation. You gotta have a little viscosity to what your using.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ncviking View Post
    I don't know about the Moly grease...I use it every day on brake components and it has a tendency to dry and cake over time.
    The one I'm using is a spray, and is an oil, not a grease. Like I said it's early days yet, but I thought it was sorta supposed to be dry. Molybdenum Disulphide itself IS dry, but I've been unable to find it locally, in dry (powder) form. Instead it's available suspended in a medium, either grease or oil.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    The one I'm using is a spray, and is an oil, not a grease. Like I said it's early days yet, but I thought it was sorta supposed to be dry. Molybdenum Disulphide itself IS dry, but I've been unable to find it locally, in dry (powder) form. Instead it's available suspended in a medium, either grease or oil.
    It can take heat and pressure....that's for sure. I'm curious to see how it works.

Posts liked by others

Militec

Militec recently sent me some grease that has worked really well on my pistols. A little goes a long way and it stays in place nicely. I have had good experiences with their product on many of my personal weapons. One of the other things I like is the fact that they are very supportive of the military, they sent me some lubricant for my platoon for free while I was in Iraq. It works wonders on a "Ma Duece"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast