Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can no longer edit / delete post in the For Flea Market?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Unless I am missing something, that's the way it is supposed to work. You can't edit my post, nor a post in the Flea Market, if it is not your post. And the general time limit for editing a post, is still one day, so in all other forums, a post entered before that, can not be edited. Only the posts in the For Sale forums (Guns and No Guns) can be edited beyond the one day limit.
    Of course I can't edit your post, although that could be mildly amusing until you caught on....

I was trying to illustrate (not very well apparently) what I saw on someone else's post vs my post in 2 separate places...

The pertinent piece is that in the Flea market what I see is:

Quote Originally Posted by DuckRyder View Post

Blog this Post | (report) | Reply With Quote | Multi-Quote This Message
    So in that case the EDIT and REPLY buttons are missing, although the reply with quote and multi quote buttons are present (but don't work)

Robert.
    NRA Endowment Life Member.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    Also, it's been a really long time since replying was allowed in the flea market... which explains the error message.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Also, it's been a really long time since replying was allowed in the flea market... which explains the error message.
    Yep, but not why the buttons are even there...? The REPLY is not there, but the REPLY WITH Quote and the Multi Quote are... doesn't seem like they should be...

Robert.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    This is probably a good time to remind everyone that John has spent about half his time on the forum since the switch, editing, modifying and adjusting the new forum software, so we can use it like we used to. And most of his work is actually on the moderating side of things, which is a bit of a shame because he can't show it around to anyone except the rest of us... and I'm sure even we don't understand [quite a bit more than] half of it.

It's quite tedious work, so let's give him one of these things to look at a time, lest he explodes..!
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    This is probably a good time to remind everyone that John has spent about half his time on the forum since the switch, editing, modifying and adjusting the new forum software, so we can use it like we used to. And most of his work is actually on the moderating side of things, which is a bit of a shame because he can't show it around to anyone except the rest of us... and I'm sure even we don't understand [quite a bit more than] half of it.

It's quite tedious work, so let's give him one of these things to look at a time, lest he explodes..!
    I'm confused, have I done something wrong? I'm just trying to provide ample information on what I am seeing and I do appreciate ALL of the hard work John is putting into it...

Robert.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckRyder View Post
    I'm confused, have I done something wrong?
    Sorry no, that's not where I was going. It's just that I happen to know that John already has had a few headaches, juggling settings here!
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    As i said, everything for the community.

Duckryder, let's do this. I give you special authority to create a thread in Flea Market (preferably in the No Guns section) selling thin air. Typically such a thread would be hard hit with alerts and warnings but you can mention that you have my permission and hopefully nobody will kick you.

Now, what I want you to do, is tell me, what you see and what you can use from the links at the bottom of your post, right after you enter it, say 30 hours later and say 10 days later.

Keep me posted
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Done, for the sake of clarity I will omit the "Blog this post" and "report" buttons as I always see them.

The new post has:

Edit Post | Reply with Quote | Multi quote

Selecting edit results in the edit window, but saving changes generates the following message:

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 30 days after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.
    Trying to reply with quote or checking multi quote and then reply with quote generates the error message from earlier.

DuckRyder, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    See you in about 30 hours....

Thank You again!

Robert.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    OK, so I have to check why that error message pops up. Replying should NOT work, the rules of that forum do not allow reply, so all is well in that front. Now, why should the reply buttons appear, when they do not work, that's a vBulletin issue, I am not going to alter the way that works.

Let me see why it doesn't accept the changes you make.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I was now able the edit the new thread... but not the old...

The reply buttons are gone...

Administrative options to "delete thread" are available on the NEW thread, but not the old...

I see Lena posted so I'll leave you to play with it a bit... Thank You again!

Robert.
    Last edited by DuckRyder; 11th January 2014 at 06:30. Reason: added info about delete

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast