Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can no longer edit / delete post in the For Flea Market?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Can no longer edit / delete post in the For Flea Market?

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...irty-Olive-G10

My memory is that we used to be able to do both?

Robert.
    NRA Endowment Life Member.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    I believe that in the whole forum, you could only edit a post in the first 24 hours. I haven't tested this since the swap, though.

The purpose for this is to stop some people from deleting posts in a long-running discussion, rendering it illegible.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I believe that in the whole forum, you could only edit a post in the first 24 hours. I haven't tested this since the swap, though.

The purpose for this is to stop some people from deleting posts in a long-running discussion, rendering it illegible.
    You definitely used to be able to edit them in that forum, I've done it quite a lot so when something sells you can update the ad... I seem to remember that you could also delete although you had to go in through the post administrative options to do it, but also they self pruned after I believe 30 days in the past...

Robert.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    I think you're right about the 30 day self-deletion.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others

Exclamation Can no longer edit / delete post in the Flea Market?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I think you're right about the 30 day self-deletion.
    I am positive about the old ability to edit, no question in my mind and it makes perfect sense in that forum...

If you have multiple things for sale in one thread (or even if only one) the ability to edit the post to reflect sales, partial sales or price changes is necessary.

There was something odd about the delete though, you had to do it a particular way.

However the poster could edit the post for as long as the post was there, this should be evident in the forum log in February 2013 when I did exactly that if there is some doubt.

Robert.
    Last edited by DuckRyder; 9th January 2014 at 08:31.

Posts liked by others
    Yes, the For Sale areas were open for editing by the original poster for the full time the posts remained up. The reason was to allow the OP to delete an ad if the item sold before the ad expired. In fact, I think if you read the Flea market rules that's a requirement.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    So I assume someone will be looking into that when time permits? Thank You in advance.

Robert.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    You assume?!?!?! Someone?!?!?!

Well, you assumed correctly, someone did look into it, and he thinks that he fixed things up, so that you can edit the threads in the For Sale forums, for as long as they'll stay there. Actually, for the time being, the threads will stay there for ever, since I haven't yet implemented the program that will delete them, but at least the editing thing is in place.

Let me know how it works for you.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    See I KNEW someone would look into it...

But: (don't you hate that) it still does not seem to work...

If I look at my post above yours, across the bottom I have:

Blog this Post | (report) | Edit Post | Reply | Reply With Quote | Multi-Quote This Message

On your post I have:

Blog this Post | (report) | Reply | Reply With Quote | Multi-Quote This Message

On the post in the Fleamarket I have:

Blog this Post | (report) | Reply With Quote | Multi-Quote This Message

And if I click either of the two reply buttons I get:

DuckRyder, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    I did log out and back in and there was no change?

Robert.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Unless I am missing something, that's the way it is supposed to work. You can't edit my post, nor a post in the Flea Market, if it is not your post. And the general time limit for editing a post, is still one day, so in all other forums, a post entered before that, can not be edited. Only the posts in the For Sale forums (Guns and No Guns) can be edited beyond the one day limit.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast