Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Self taught idgit and happy.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Self taught idgit and happy.

51+ years of the "shooting life; but no formal training. I am ambidexterous and left eye dominant. I shoot hand guns with both eyes wide open. I shoot with only one hand on the gun the other hand "parked" or holding its own pistol (yeeeeee haaaaaw). I feel more comfortable shooting left handed, but often better right handed. When shooting lefty, I operate the "thumb" safety with my trigger finger as the barrel clears leather with that finger then extending forward across the top of the trigger guard, not in the guard until extending to target. Is it considered proper to operate the safety with the left trigger finger? Prefer NOT to install ambidexterous safety.

prs

Posts liked by others
    If you are able to get yer pinky finger up to the thumb safety then more power to you
    Welcome to the forum.

Posts liked by others
    I don't think it matters. . there is the way the "experts" consider a standard, but for everyone that does it the "right" way there are the same amount that do something completely different. as long as its say - I'd say go for it.

Posts liked by others
    I'm honestly not sure what is "proper" for shooting left-hand w/o an ambi safety - I shoot primarily right-handed, but practice some left, and am fairly decent, but I don't carry left-handed, so never really practiced drawing. When I do shoot lefty, if I have the safety on, I tend to use my trigger finger to take it off before shifting my grip more or less like you described.

Posts liked by others
    I'm right-handed so I have no first-hand knowledge... but I've heard lefty friends say they use their thumb to operate the thumb safety, on a draw, simply by placing their thumb on the left side of the gun, before going behind the grip safety, to put it on the right. I've tried it out of curiosity, it seems to work better in guns without a long beavertail but otherwise seems doable. Just my $0.02.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    If you are able to get yer pinky finger up to the thumb safety then more power to you
    Welcome to the forum.
    Wow! Would have to change my name to Houdini.

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout74 View Post
    I'm honestly not sure what is "proper" for shooting left-hand w/o an ambi safety - I shoot primarily right-handed, but practice some left, and am fairly decent, but I don't carry left-handed, so never really practiced drawing. When I do shoot lefty, if I have the safety on, I tend to use my trigger finger to take it off before shifting my grip more or less like you described.
    Anthem, you, and I; perhaps great minds think alike, or could just be the limited setcof solutions to this need.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I'm right-handed so I have no first-hand knowledge... but I've heard lefty friends say they use their thumb to operate the thumb safety, on a draw, simply by placing their thumb on the left side of the gun, before going behind the grip safety, to put it on the right. I've tried it out of curiosity, it seems to work better in guns without a long beavertail but otherwise seems doable. Just my $0.02.
    Both of my current 1911 pistols are Rugers with the generous beaver tails.

prs