Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells or Cabela's, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Elite LS Hunter and "The New" Para Review

Elite LS Hunter and "The New" Para Review

I was finally able to buy one of the production-delayed Para Elite LS Hunters in late November.
    I'd been looking for a 10mm longslide for several years to shoot frequently big wild piggies across the river in AR but no one wanted to part with their Omega or Javelina at a resonable price. Then Para comes along at SHOT 2013 with a new offering with all the bells and whistles: FO front sight and adjustable rear, a recon rail, black Ionbond on stainless, and a foreseeable decade+ of parts.
    SOLD!

Slide to frame fit, barrel lock-up and action is nice and tight. Surface finish is excellent and the PVD'd Ionbond's wear resilience, which I've experienced for many years on my two like-finished daily carry Nighthawks, should be perfect for the great outdoors. While the final production didn't have the SHOT and early interweb marketed front strap checkering, the furnished VZ Operators II G10 stocks afford plenty of lateral grip even if your hands are wet and/or muddy, and easy recessed acces to the mag realease. The long, flat wire recoil spring along with the all steel weight ~41 oz should well manage this sweety's recoil even with 220-gr hardcast Buffalo Bore loads.

Now, upon receipt I immediately noted that the ambi safety wasn't locked in at the cross shaft splines properly, the plastic skeletonized trigger had plenty of molding flash remaining attached and, most dissappointingly, the trigger had massive, unreasonable amounts of gravely creep.

Para's Customer Service was quick to forward me a FedEx return call tag and I thereafter got the gun back just a week later. The returned work order ticket noted that the RHS ambi safety, trigger and sear where replaced.
    The safety now looks/works good. Take up and break on the trigger stayed satisfactorily unchanged (and I'd not complained about these).
    BUT, while admittedly less gravely, the creep is still significantly present and doesn't reflect what I would expect from a $1200 gun. The gentleman I talked to at Para quickly deflected that "they weren't a custom shop" but I've owned several Kimbers and Springfields, both in Custom Shop and non-CS offerings, and none of these ever exhibited any significant creep.

So I'll spend some more cash to swap/tune in a premium trigger through an aftermarket source, though that's dissappointing and contrary to the "new" Para's marketing that includes notions like "uncompromising purpose" and "handcrafted excellence"...
    GDubya

NRA Life Member
    "If you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." -- Benjamin Franklin

My .02$:

A LOT, if not all, of the sweet-shooting, 'creep-free' production 1911s owe their lack of creep to a 19-18-17lb mainspring. I don't know what Para puts on their .45s or 9mms, but it's a fairly safe bet they're not going to use a light mainspring on a 10mm...

My Para P18.9 (of 2008 vintage) came with a 21lb mainspring. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then (mine was put together north of the border), but the poor man's trigger job (without a mainspring change) got the trigger pull to a creep-free, honest (i.e. measured) 4lbs.

Anyway, you've mentioned that you do not intend to shoot mild 10mm loads through your gun, so your needs are best served with a strong mainspring... and it really isn't reasonable to expect a factory gun to be creep-free with one of these installed.

Once again, just my $.02. Oh and enjoy that gun, it's a beauty!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

FYI,
    In trying to add Streamlight's new TLR-1 HP GameSpotter light, I've come to realize that Para utilizes the Glock-spec rail.
    To get enough clearance for the larger (2.2") dia. bezel of the HP, I'm going to try finding a single-screw-clamped riser: hopefully something between the likes of the Leapers UTG MNT-RS05S2 without the excessive stickout screw handle and American Defense's AD-170-VPG, which has a low profile locking cam but is a bit long at 2.3".
    In case anybody else is like minded, I'll post update when I find it.
    In the mean time, if anyone knows of any Glock-to-Glock rail risers, please speak up...
    GDubya

NRA Life Member
    "If you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." -- Benjamin Franklin

I'd be a bit chaffed too with a trigger like you have, especially after laying down a $1200 chunk of change.

I have a Para in .38 Super that's seen a lot carry time and has been used countless times on vermin. The new EGW extractor has been very reliable compared to the old spring loaded design.

With increasing black bear and feral hog activity, 10mm is the way to go. I load 200gr WFNGCs (.320" meplat) to about 1220fps, it is a large bone crushing/penetrating combination.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon